Subject: Re: CCL:Alternant hydrocarbons

From: sergiusz kwasniewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:20:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

while I was in Exeter under the supervisory of Prof. Fowler, we used the
alternant structures to explain certain things about fullerenes. I guess
that if you would look for prof. Fowler's book on fullerenes it will
certainly be explained for some part.

A definition we used for it for my master's thesis goes like this:
"An alternant is a bipartite structure that can be partitioned into two
subsets of atoms, in a way that an atom of one subset is only surrounded by
atoms of the other subset (starred and unstarred atoms)."

You could also look into "Clar colouring" schemes like e.g. in reference:

G. Brinkmann, P.W. Fowler, "Spiral coding of leapfrog polyhedra",
J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci. (in press 1998)

Hope this helps,

Serge

___________________________________________________

	Sergiusz Kwasniewski
	LUC SBG/TS
	Universitaire Campus Gebouw D
	3590 Diepenbeek
	BELGIUM

	tel(direct): 032 (0)11/268315
	fax	   : 032 (0)11/268301
	email      : [email-masked]
	http://www.luc.ac.be/Research/TheoChem
___________________________________________________