Subject: Mercury 1.0 - Crystal Structure Visualisation

From: Ian Bruno <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:00:03 +0100

Free Software for Crystal Structure Visualisation
=================================================

The Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre (CCDC) is pleased to 
announce the release of version 1.0 of its new crystal structure 
visualiser program Mercury.

Mercury forms part of the Cambridge Structural Database (CSD)
System, and will be shipped to subscribers in October 2001. However, 
we are also making Mercury available for anyone to download from the 
CCDC website, completely free of charge, as a service to the 
crystallographic and computational chemistry communities.

Supported on Windows, Linux Intel, Solaris and SG IRIX operating
systems, Mercury offers comprehensive facilities for visualising 
crystal structures in three dimensions, including:

    * full range of structure display styles, view
      directions, colours and structure manipulations
    * location and display of hydrogen bonding and other
      short contacts
    * ability to build and visualise a network of contacts
    * packing diagrams of single and multiple cell contents
    * measurement and display of geometrical parameters
    * display of centroids, least-squares mean planes and
      Miller planes
    * ability to generate and display slices through a
      crystal in any direction

Additionally, Mercury offers;

    * downloading of hit lists from ConQuest [*]
    * browsing of the entire CSD or of in-house databases [*]
    * import of structures in other formats
    * the ability to save displays

[*] only available if the CSD System is already installed

We invite you to download Mercury from CCDC's website, use it, and feed 
back any comments that you have to us at: [email-masked] 
Enhancement and development of Mercury will go on, guided by your
feedback, and new updates will be made available for download.

Please do tell others about Mercury - we'd like the program to be used
as widely as possible. If you already subscribe to the CSD System, there 
is no need to wait until your October release arrives!

You can find further details of Mercury, and links to download, at

    http://www.ccdc.cam.ac.uk/prods/mercury/

--
Dr Ian Bruno, CCDC, 12 Union Road, Cambridge, CB2 1EZ, UK
Feedback and Support: [email-masked]