Subject: linux cluster vs intranet

From: [email-masked] (Felipe Pineda)
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:19:59 +0000

Dear CCLers!

I shall be very grateful if someone of you would share with me his/her
experiences in building a linux cluster based on 2 or more dual athlon 760MP
boxes. The main points of interest are networking devices (ethernet adapter/s
on each node, switch, etc.) requirements and the possibility of disk space
sharing in such a system (one or several "centralized" HDs on e.g. the frontend
node vs "distributed" on each node). Is the difference between running an
intranet consisting of such independent linux boxes and a true beowulf cluster
only a (clustering) software question, or are the hardware requirements
different?

Many thanks in advance for your attention and kind feedback.

Best regards

felipe

-- 
**********************************************************************
* Felipe Pineda,PhD                                                  *
* Institut fuer Molekulare Biotechnologie                            *
* AG Theoretische Biophysik                                          *
* Beutenbergstrasse 11, Jena                Vox: +49-3641-65-6491    *
* Postfach 100 813, D-07708 Jena, Germany   Fax:            -6495    *
*                  web:  www.imb-jena.de/~pineda                     *
**********************************************************************
**********************************************************************
* DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is *      
* my personal opinion, not an official statement of my employer      *      
**********************************************************************

---

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:47:08 +0200 (MET DST)

Since I'm getting tired of forwarding these queries to the Beowulf list

	http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/

I'm pointing out this resource once again.