Subject: ECCC8 Preliminary Announcement

From: Robert Topper <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Oct 2001 10:49:53 -0700

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to notify you that the Eighth Electronic
Computational Chemistry Conference (ECCC8) will be held during
the month of March 2002, entirely on the Internet,
at http://eccc8.cooper.edu .

As in previous years, the conference is multidisciplinary and
covers all aspects of computational and theoretical chemistry,
as well as computational molecular biology and computational
and theoretical molecular and atomic physics.
Participants will be able to view the presentations and discuss them
entirely through a web browser. As with the previous seven ECCCs,
ECCC8 has NO registration fee and is a completely virtual, online
conference.

Abstracts for all contributions to ECCC8 will be reviewed by the
Scientific Organizing Committee (SOC) to insure novelty, scientific
value, and appopriateness for inclusion in the conference.
The members of the SOC will be announced soon. Nominations for
the SOC (including self-nominations) are hereby solicited.

Contributions should be presented in HTML format, and ideally
will take full advantage of the interactive nature of the
World-Wide Web to present their findings and conclusions.
In addition to completed work, work in progress is also acceptable for
an ECCC8 presentation.

Authors may choose to either serve their contributions from
their own local web site, or upload them to the ECCC8 server.
Uploaded contributions will be removed from the server at
the end of ECCC8.

All authors are additionally encouraged to submit their work
for peer review and subsequent publication in the ECCC8 
Proceedings. Current plans call for the proceedings to be 
published in Theoretical Chemistry Accounts. This peer 
review will be separate from, and in addition to, the review 
of abstracts for the presentations. More information on how 
authors may prepare their contribution for possible inclusion 
in the proceedings will follow soon. Detailed general information 
on Theoretical Chemistry Accounts can be
found at http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00214/index.htm

As in ECCC7, a single weeklong "interactive" session
will be part of the conference. This session will be held via
asynchronous postings of questions to the conference site,
which authors can choose to receive either at the site, at their
personal email account, or both. All authors must commit to
having at least one co-author available (i.e. checking the discussion
board at least daily) during the "interactive" session to provide 
timely responses (within approximately 24 hours) to any
questions that conferees may have about their online presentation.
Failure to participate in the interactive session may
result in the "poster" or "paper" being withdrawn from the conference.

Important dates for ECCC8 are:

             January  18, 2002 - Abstracts of "posters" due
             February 11, 2002 - Registration opens
             February 27, 2002 - Final "posters" due
             March     4, 2002 - Conference begins
             March    18, 2002 - Interactive Session begins
             March    24, 2002 - Interactive Session ends
             April     1, 2002 - ECCC8 ends
             May      27, 2002 - All papers due for TCA Proceedings

Please note that the deadline for receipt of an abstract for the
conference is January 18, 2002. Please also note that "posters"
which are not completely ready by the beginning of the conference
may be considered to be withdrawn.

Complete details on how the conference will operate, abstract
submission, and conference registration will be found at

http://eccc8.cooper.edu

This site is not yet open but will be online in the
near future.

We invite all interested parties to contribute to ECCC8
and participate! Please share this announcement with
your colleagues and post it wherever appropriate so that
ECCC can continue to thrive and be a vital meeting for
the computational chemistry community. Also,
please feel free to email us with your questions or comments.

Robert Topper, Department of Chemistry ([email-masked])
ECCC8 Principal Organizer and
Co-Chair, ECCC8 Web Team

Chris Lent and Bob Hopkins, Cooper Union Computer Center
Co-Chairs, ECCC8 Web Team

School of Engineering
The Cooper Union
 for the Advancement of Science and Art
51 Astor Place
New York, NY 10003