Subject: Running Autodock3 under linux2

From: David Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:48:03 -0400

Hello all,

I have recently compiled Autodock under redhat6.0 and the compilation
went well except for a few warnings which didn't seem to be to bad.  I
followed the instruction according to an online instruction document on
compiling this software on redhat and everything went good, and most of
the programs work in the suit.

However, the primary program autodock3 when run, after 5-10 seconds I
get back an error:

"Segmentation fault (core dump)"

with no output or further error messages.  So I don't even know were to
start with this problem.  I've repeated the process with the software
included examples and I get the same error, so I believe this may be do
to a faulty compilation.

Has anyone out there experience this kind of problem (under linux 2) or
does any one have any info that might be helpful to solving this
problem?

Thanks for everyone's comments.

David Smith

---

From: Szilveszter Juhos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 16:34:30 +0000 (GMT)

> "Segmentation fault (core dump)"

You can find strace/ltrace useful or if you have a debugger like gdb (that
is always comes with Linux) you can try:

gdb <program_that_generated_the_core> core 
[ ..lot of info written... ]

(gdb) where
[ ..this will give you a backtrace.. ]

If you are lucky that can give a clue what went wrong.
In the strace output you can check for permission/open errors first.

Szilva

---

From: Xiao-Ping Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 19:44:53 +0200

Hi, David,

You may check the stack size of your machine. Try to set it as unlimited.

Good luck!

Xiao-Ping Zhang

At 11:48 AM 10/9/01 -0400, you wrote:
>-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
>[email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To Admins
>[email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
>[email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
>Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------
Xiao-Ping Zhang
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
Arrhenius Laboratories of Natural Sciences
Stockholm University
106 91 Stockholm
Sweden

Phone: +46-(0)8-162472 (O); +46-(0)8-6121936 (H)
Fax:     46-08-153679
e-mail: [email-masked]