Subject: G98/Linux 7

From: Ulrike Salzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:24:32 +0200 (EET)

Dear Linux users,
I have compiled G98 Rev. A7 with Linux Redhat 6.0. Now I upgraded to
Redhat 7.1 and copied the executables from the old system to the new one.
It runs fine. I am wondering whether the performance would be better, if I
recompiled the code. Do I waste computer time? Are there any other
problems with this procedure?

Apart from that, I have problems configuring Redhat 7.1 for using telnet
and ftp. I can telnet and ftp from the machine but not into it. The error
is always: connection refused. With the /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny
files, I was not successful. Does anyone no what I have to change? (I
have installed the server package.)

I know that the main problem is my lack of experience. For this reason I
purchased Redhat 7.1 Deluxe Edition in the hope that there will be good
documentation, but there is not very much beyond the stuff I knew already. 
In our bookstore, I found Redhat Linux Unleashed. It looks great to me.
Unfortunately, it is Redhat 6. Is there a new addition of this book or is
something coming out soon? Would Redhat 6 still be useful or are there too
many changes, especially in configuring security?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Ulrike Salzner
===================================================================

Dr. Ulrike Salzner
Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry		Tel.: (312) 290-2122
Bilkent University		Fax.: (312) 266-5097
06533 Bilkent, Ankara 		e-mail: [email-masked]
Turkey

====================================================================

---

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 01:46:09 -0500 (EST)

> have installed the server package.)

Get 7.2 and you will have ext3 Linux file system which is supposedly better.
The 7.1 has the same ext2 as 6.0. Maybe some IDE drivers are better, but
not much. You should have waited a month longer {:-)}

As to ftp and telnet... They know what they are doing...

You should not use ftp and telnet. You should use scp and ssh.
=============================================================

If you use ftp and telnet, and you are not a guru, the hackers will
shred your computer to pieces in no time... (and you will also be eaten alive).
Just do 
   man ssh
and
   man scp
and you will have known...

But if you absolutely have to:

Log in as root:

cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
chkconfig --del iptables
chkconfig --del ipchains
./iptables stop
./ipchains stop

cd /etc/xinetd.d
vi wu-ftpd 
  change: disable = yes to disable = no
vi telent
  change: disable = yes to disable = no

reboot the machine. Then it will probably still not work, since I forgot
about something (:-)}. Just give some person, who knows Linux and whom you
trust, a root password and he/she will fix it for you {:-)}.

> Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [email-masked] 
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.ccl.net/

---

From: Yubo Fan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:29:09 -0600

Please check the following homepage:

http://kb.redhat.com/view.php?eid=183

Ulrike Salzner wrote:

> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

--
============================================================
Yubo Fan                   Email: [email-masked]
Department of Chemistry    Tel:   1-979-845-7222
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843
============================================================