Subject: ECCC8 Call for Papers

From: "Robert Q. Topper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:32:11 -0500 (EST)

ECCC8 Announcement and Call for Papers

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to notify you that the Eighth Electronic 
Computational Chemistry Conference (ECCC8) will be held
March 4 - April 1 2002, entirely on the Internet,
at http://eccc8.cooper.edu . Registration is now open 
and abstracts may now be submitted online after registration.

As in previous years, the conference is multidisciplinary and
covers all aspects of computational and theoretical chemistry,
as well as computational molecular biology, computational
and theoretical molecular and atomic physics, visualization,
cheminformatics and the history of computational chemistry.
Participants will be able to view the presentations and discuss them
entirely through a web browser. As with the previous seven ECCCs,
ECCC8 has NO registration fee and is a completely virtual, online
conference.

Abstracts for all contributions to ECCC8 will be reviewed by the
Scientific Organizing Committee to insure novelty, scientific
value, and appopriateness for inclusion in the conference.

Presentations must be made in HTML format, and ideally
will take full advantage of the interactive nature of the
World-Wide Web to present their findings and conclusions.
In addition to completed work, work in progress is also acceptable for
an ECCC8 presentation. Authors may choose to either serve their
contributions from their own local web site, or may request us to upload
them to the ECCC8 server. Uploaded contributions will be removed from the
ECCC8 server at the end of ECCC8.

All authors are additionally encouraged to submit their work
for peer review and subsequent publication in the ECCC8
Proceedings. Current plans call for the Proceedings to be
published in Theoretical Chemistry Accounts, with the 
accompanying presentations permanently archived on 
TCA's web site. This peer review will be separate from, and in addition
to, the review of abstracts for the presentations. Detailed general
information on Theoretical Chemistry Accounts can be
found at the TCA web site:
http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00214/index.htm

As in ECCC7, a single weeklong "interactive" session will be part of the
conference. This session will be held via asynchronous postings of 
questions to the conference site, which authors can choose to receive
either at the site, at their personal email account, or both. All authors
must commit to having at least one co-author available 
(i.e. checking the discussion board at least daily) during the
"interactive" session to provide timely responses (within approximately 
24 hours) to any questions that conferees may have about their online 
presentation. Failure to participate fully in the interactive session may
result in a presentation being withdrawn from the conference.

Important dates for ECCC8 are:

         November  9, 2001 - Registration opens; call for papers
         January  18, 2002 - Abstracts of "posters" due
         February 27, 2002 - Final "posters" due 
         March     4, 2002 - Conference begins
         March    18, 2002 - Interactive Session begins
         March    24, 2002 - Interactive Session ends
         April     1, 2002 - ECCC8 ends
         April    30, 2002 - Contributions to proceedings due from authors
 
Please note that the deadline for receipt of an abstract for the
conference is January 18, 2002. Please also note that "posters" which are
not completely ready by the beginning of the conference may be considered
to be withdrawn.

Complete details on how the conference will operate, abstract submission,
and conference registration will be found at

http://eccc8.cooper.edu

We invite all interested parties to contribute to ECCC8
and participate! Please share this announcement with
your colleagues and post it wherever appropriate so that
ECCC can continue to thrive and be a vital meeting for
the international computational chemistry community. Also,
please feel free to email us at [email-masked] 
with your questions or comments.

Robert Topper, Department of Chemistry
Chris Lent, Brooks Design Center
Bob Hopkins, Cooper Union Computer Center

School of Engineering
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
51 Astor Place
New York, NY 10003