Subject: 02.05.31 SoftSimu2002 - Novel methods in soft matter simulations

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:38:23 -0500 (EST)

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:33:31 +0200 (EET)
From: Mikko Karttunen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SoftSimu2002 - Novel methods in soft matter simulations 

=======================================================
SoftSimu2002 - Novel methods in soft matter simulations
========================================================

   WWW:      http://www.lce.hut.fi/research/polymer/softsimu2002/

   Email:    [email-masked]
   Location: Espoo/Helsinki, Finland
   Time:     May 31 - June 6, 2002	

Description:
-----------

This Summer School concentrates on novel computer simulation techniques
proposed for, and used in, studies of complex molecules and soft matter
systems. Examples of these methods include the Dissipative Particle
Dynamics, the Malevanets-Kapral method, and Smoothed Particle
Hydrodynamics.  Further topics of the Summer School include hybrid
methods, phase filed methods, hydrodynamics, and electrostatics. A closely
related topic of coarse-graining in time and space will be given plenty of
attention during the school.

Currently, there are no textbooks that cover these ideas & methods. This
Summer School aims to fill that gap and to provide a good starting point
for graduate students and young researchers who wish to apply them for
large-scale studies of soft matter systems.  

Format of the School: 
--------------------
The School aims to provide the participants with a concise statistical
mechanics description of the methods. This analytical approach is
complemented with hands-on computer exercises whose role in the Summer
School is important.

Invited speakers:
-----------------
Giovanni Ciccotti (Rome), Raymond Kapral (Toronto), Pep Espanol (Madrid),
Florian Müller-Plathe (Mainz), Rob Groot (Vlaardingen) Ignacio
Pagonabarraga (Barcelona), Andre Moreira (Santa Barbara), Chris Lowe
(Delft), Eirik Flekkoy (Oslo), Aatto Laaksonen (Stockholm), Tapio
Ala-Nissila (Helsinki) and Alexander Lyubartsev (Stockholm).

----------------------------------------------------------------

                   Mikko Karttunen

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Mikko Karttunen, Biophysics/Lab of Computational Engineering,
Helsinki U. of Tech., Finland. Web: www.lce.hut.fi/research/polymer/
--------------------------------------------------------------------