Subject: Fluid Simulation Challenge

From: Russ Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:48:24 -0500

ANNOUNCEMENT

FIRST INDUSTRIAL FLUID PROPERTIES SIMULATION CHALLENGE

The Computational Molecular Science and Engineering Forum 
http://www.comsef.aiche.org/ of the American Institute of Chemical 
Engineers (AIChE) has established an open competition for scientists and 
engineers to use molecular simulation methods to calculate results for 
specific sets of posed problems.
The primary goal of the Industrial Fluid Properties Simulation Challenge is 
to obtain an in-depth and objective assessment of our current abilities and 
inabilities to predict thermophysical properties of industrially 
challenging fluids using computer simulation.  Another goal of this 
competition is to help drive development of molecular simulation 
methodology toward a closer alignment with the needs of the chemical 
industry.  We anticipate that this challenge will be an annual event.
The competition begins in November 2001 when the problems are announced.
Entries are due no later than September 3, 2002.
Full details are available at

http://www.cstl.nist.gov/FluidSimulationChallenge

Participants must register at this web site to ensure that their proposed 
methodology is eligible.  Two half-day sessions at the 2002 Annual Meeting 
of the AIChE in Indianapolis (Nov.3-8, 2002) will be held to discuss the 
results and announce the winners.  The winners will be presented with an 
award and prize at the AIChE meeting.  It is anticipated that significant 
monetary prizes will be provided by industrial donors.
Industry is seeking successful methods, based on molecular simulation 
techniques, for prediction of properties of fluids and mixtures.  This 
challenge is in part geared towards ensuring the relevance of academic 
simulation activities to industrial requirements. Successful participants 
will have the opportunity to transfer their methods to industry.
This competition is a result of The Workshop on Simulation Methods to 
Predict the Thermophysical Properties of Fluids 
http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/~fstarr/ptpfms/home.html.

All inquiries should be directed to
Raymond Mountain
Competition Committee Chair
National Institute of Standards and Technology
[email-masked]
301-975-2484.