Subject: Useful RedHat Linux / Computational Chemistry Resources

From: "William F. Polik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:03:43 -0800

In response to various requests, I want to call attention to a series of 
support pages that assist in the installation of computational chemistry 
software on Red Hat Linux 6.X and 7.X systems.

These instructions are very straightforward to implement (every command to 
be typed is explicitly specified), and they contain all necessary links on 
how to obtain the software.

* GAMESS installation instructions for Linux
      http://www.webmo.net/support/gamess_linux.html

* MOPAC 7 installation instructions for Linux
      http://www.webmo.net/support/mopac_linux.html

* Gaussian 98 installation instructions for Linux
      http://www.webmo.net/support/g98_linux.html

* Portland Group F77 compiler installation instructions for Linux (required 
for Gaussian 98)
      http://www.webmo.net/support/pgf77.html

Instructions for installing and configuring Red Hat Linux 7.X are also 
given.  In additional to documenting the installation process, they 
describe how to configure various services (telnet, ftp, ssh/sftp, apache, 
samba, sendmail, pop3/imap).  The new security models incorporated into Red 
Hat Linux are also explained (ipchains firewall, xinet.d, 
hosts.allow/hosts.deny).

* RedHat Linux 7.X installation instructions
      http://www.webmo.net/support/linux72.html

Enjoy!

================================
Dr. William F. Polik
Professor of Chemistry

Department of Chemistry
Hope College
35 East 12th Street
Holland, MI  49422-9000
USA

[email-masked]
http://www.chem.hope.edu/~polik
tel: (616) 395-7639
fax: (616) 395-7118

On sabbatical leave 9/01-6/02:
University of California, San Diego
San Diego Supercomputer Center, MC 0505
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA  92093-0505
tel: 858-822-3610
fax: 858-534-5113
================================