Subject: MGMS Press Release

From: MGMS Webmaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:58:53 +0000

The following press release may be of interest to the CCL.

Press Release
Molecular Graphics and Modelling Society (MGMS) and Royal Society
of Chemistry Molecular Modelling Group (RSC MMG) Encourage Young Researchers!

In order to encourage young scientists at the beginning of their careers, the
MGMS organises an annual "Young Modellers' Forum" in which postgraduate
students present their work on any aspect of computational chemistry or
computational biology in front of a learned audience of academic and industrial
researchers.

This year the meeting took place on November 30th 2001 and was run in
conjunction with the Royal Society of Chemistry's Molecular Modelling Group
(RSC MMG) and was sponsored by 15 pharmaceutical and software companies
(http://www.mgms.org/young2001.htm).   

The first prize was awarded to Samantha Hughes of the Department of Chemistry
at Imperial College, who outlined her research on the asymmetry of a key
bacterial enzyme demonstrating that the molecular modelling findings were in
good agreement with experimental measurements. The poster prize for 2001 was
awarded to Daniele Bemporad of the University of Southampton for his work on
the simulation of drugs passing through membranes.

Presenting the awards, Dr. David Manallack (the organiser of the meeting and a
researcher at Celltech) praised the standard of the presentations: "This year
has been outstanding.  I've had researchers of 25 years standing telling me
they couldn't give presentations as good as the ones we saw today."  

The Molecular Graphics and Modelling Society is a charitable organisation that
promotes and advances public education in the science of molecular graphics and
related subjects. Dr. Catherine Burt (of Pfizer Global Research and Development
and Chairperson of the Society) expressed the importance of mentoring young
scientists.  "I am committed to making sure that the society fulfils the
essential role of nurturing up-and-coming talent by running poster competitions
for students at our meetings and organising a Young Modeller's forum, which
helps industry to recruit new people." 

For further information, please visit the society's web site:
http://www.mgms.org

--
email: [email-masked]