Subject: question of netiquette

From: "Shobe, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:09:38 -0500

Gary Breton wrote:
> I had many requests for a summary of the answers.  I provide these below
> without the names of those responding (which I guess is good etiquette,
> could be wrong).  

I have uncertainties about that myself.  There is the arguement that people
should get credit for their work/ideas, and there is the argument that
privacy should be respected when the response comes from "person to person"
e-mail.  The usual practice on CCL seems to be to include the names, but I'm
not sure that's really the correct thing to do.  

Any further comments?

--David Shobe
Süd-Chemie Inc.
phone (502) 634-7409
fax     (502) 634-7724
email  [email-masked]

Don't bother flaming me: I'm behind a firewall.

---

From: "Phillip Matz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:11:20 -0800

How about the following:

1) If the original CCL poster explicitly states they will post summaries
then the replier (sp) will take it upon themselves to let the poster
know if it is NOT ok to include their name in the posted summary
(default assumption is to give credit to all posters; i.e. the burden of
desiring and receiving privacy is then up to the person offering their
idea)

2) If the original CCL poster does not state they will be posting a
summary then the replier should post to the CCL directly (in which case
they will receive "idea ownership"), but in the event that the replier
communicates with the original poster via private email then the replier
must indicate they desire idea ownership (i.e. the default assumption is
the replier desires privacy) in the event the original poster is
requested to post a summary.

Yes? No? Suggestions?

Regards,

Phil Matz

-----Original Message-----
From: Computational Chemistry List [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Shobe, Dave
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 10:10 AM
To: 'CCL'
Subject: CCL:question of netiquette

Gary Breton wrote:
> I had many requests for a summary of the answers.  I provide these 
> below without the names of those responding (which I guess is good 
> etiquette, could be wrong).

I have uncertainties about that myself.  There is the arguement that
people should get credit for their work/ideas, and there is the argument
that privacy should be respected when the response comes from "person to
person" e-mail.  The usual practice on CCL seems to be to include the
names, but I'm not sure that's really the correct thing to do.  

Any further comments?

--David Shobe
Süd-Chemie Inc.
phone (502) 634-7409
fax     (502) 634-7724

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
[email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To
Admins [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
[email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher:
gopher.ccl.net 70
Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan:
[email-masked]