Subject: Announce: PyMOL v0.78

From: "DeLano, Warren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 19:59:09 -0800

PyMOL version 0.78 is now released for download from http://pymol.sf.net
. RPM packages are available for quick installation under Linux RedHat
7.x, and Windows and IRIX binaries are provided along with source code.

PyMOL is the most powerful free molecular graphics system currently
available as unrestricted open-source software.  PyMOL works great as a
stand-alone viewer but is also well suited for infrastructure given its
robust Python API and its ability to run as an anonymous module.

Unlike other popular free graphics programs, (such as VMD, RasMOL,
SwissPDBViewer, Chime, and the Accelrys Viewer), you can use PyMOL for
any purpose, and you are permitted to modify and redistribute derivates
of PyMOL without cost or without being required to release derivative
source code (though it is encouraged).  Thus, PyMOL is ideally suited
for corporate applications where license restrictions are of paramount
concern.  Software companies, start-ups, biotech, and big-pharma can all
benefit from using PyMOL for 3D molecular visualization on low-cost
hardware.   

Of particular note, version 0.78 contains an early release of PyMOL's
remarkable "sculpting" capability.  With "auto-sculpting" enabled in
Editing Mode, you can simply CTRL-Click-and-Drag atoms to where you want
them to be, and then PyMOL will do its best to make sure that bonds,
angles, planarity, chirality, and van der Waals radii are maintained.
It is not particularly realistic, but it sure looks cool -- as if your
molecules were made of "gummy worms" candy! 

With its built-in molecular building and manipulation features, PyMOL
can now serve as a reasonable front-end to your favorite mechanics and
minimization engine (i.e. BatchMin).  Alternatively, you can just use
PyMOL to view trajectories, docking runs, or to make exceptional figures
and animations.  

In the long run, PyMOL aims to match the molecular graphics quality of
Molscript/Raster3D, the molecular editing capabilities of MacroModel,
the animations and performance of VMD, the electrostatic surfaces of
Grasp, the macromolecular crystallography of O, the interactivity of
Sculpt, and the programmability of M.O.E. (but using Python instead of
SVL), all in one FREE & UNRESTRICTED OPEN-SOURCE package.  If you
haven't yet seen PyMOL in action recently, you will be surprised how far
it has progressed toward this goal...

Cheers,

Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.
PyMOL Creator
DeLano Scientific

PS. If you try PyMOL and like it, then please consider helping out!
While the PyMOL open-source community is growing rapidly, more
involvement is needed in order to help the project achieve longevity.