Subject: 02.05.11 ACS BioEntrepreneur Symposium, San Diego

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:14:18 -0500 (EST)

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:25:48 -0800
From: Samuel Toba <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Pls post - May 11, 2002 BioEntrepreneur Symposium

__________________________________________________________________________

	The American Chemical Society San Diego Chapter presents the
“BioEntrepreneur Symposium 2002” to be held at UCSD Price Conference Center
Ballroom on Saturday May 11, 2002.  Symposium co-hosts include The Burnham
Institute, The Salk Institute, The Scripps Research Institute Society of
Fellows, The Lambda Biotechnology Association, Assoc. of Women in Science,
Forum for Women Entrepreneurs, UCSD Division of Biology, UCSD Jacobs School
of Engineering, UCSD Bioinformatics Graduate Program, UCSD Connect, UCSD
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, and University of California Life
Sciences Informatics, and The San Diego Supercomputing Center.

	The BioEntrepreneur Symposium 2002 strives to create and encourage
entrepreneurship in the cross-disciplines of life sciences in collaboration
with industry, academia, and the legal and financial sector. This symposium
will explain the corporate, financial and university roles in new company
formation, and offer practical advice to inventor-scientists. Speakers will
include veteran biotechnology executives, venture capitalists, intellectual
property attorneys, business development executives, and university
licensing officers. Founders of successful start-ups will be invited to talk
about their experiences in new company formation. The role of different
types of funding (angel investors, venture capital, etc.) will be discussed
by a group of financial investors.  The conference will also provide a forum
for the various university experts involved in technology transfer and new
company formation to present themselves and the services they can provide to
scientists considering new company formation. As part of the symposium, a
panel discussion will be conducted to discuss what makes a successful
biotech company, common mistakes, and the issues and problems typically
encountered by start-ups. The goal of the symposium is to stimulate
interaction between academia and industry and to provide a networking
opportunity.

	Interest will be expected from all cross-disciplines of biosciences
including bioinformatics, bioengineering, biomedical sciences, chemistry,
chemical technology, and biotechnology. Participants from academia will be
expected to include (but not limited to) students (undergraduate as well as
graduate), postdoctoral fellows, research staff, and faculty along with
experts from the university involved in technology transfer and new company
formation. Industry participation will be expected from the southern
California biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry, venture capitalists
firms, and intellectual property firms. Industry attendees will include
scientists; corporate executives; representatives from business development,
finance, and intellectual property departments. We are limiting the event to
300 participants for this first BioEntrepreneur Symposium.

For more information, and for registration, please visit
http://www.bioentrepreneur.ucsd.edu . Travel grants may be available for any
University of California students, faculty, and staff members.