Subject: CCG Graduate Student Excellence Award Winners - Orlando, 2002

From: "Curt M. Breneman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:26:57 -0500

The American Chemical Society's (ACS) Division of Computers and
Chemistry (COMP) and Chemical Computing Group (CCG), are pleased to
announce the winners of the CCG Excellence Awards for the Spring ACS
National Meeting, to be held in Orlando, FL from April 7-11, 2002.

In alphabetical order, the winners are:

Thomas Dick for the paper entitled “Computational Modeling of Brine to
aid CO2 Sequestration Research”.  Co-authors on the paper are Pranav
Dalal and Jeffry Madura.  Mr. Dick is a graduate student in Prof.
Madura’s labs in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at
Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA.

Benoit Leblanc for the paper entitled “Mixing Monte Carlo moves more
efficiently with an evolutionary algorithm”.  Co-authors on the paper
are Herve Toulhoat, Bertrand Braunsweig, and Evelyne Lutton.  Mr.
Leblanc is a graduate student in Computer Science at IFP (Institut
Francais du Petrole) in Rueil-Malmaison, France, and is advised by his
co-authors.

Viera Lukacova for the paper entitled “Implementation of Multiple
Binding Modes in CoMFA”.  Ms. Lukacova’s co-author on the paper is
Stefan Balaz.  Ms. Lukacova is a graduate student in Prof. Stefan Balaz’
labs in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy,
at North Dakota State University.

Sabine Schefzick for the paper entitled “Theoretical Ligand Distortions
in Chiral Catalysts: Can molecular deformations enhance a catalyst’s
chirality content?”.  Co-author on the paper is Prof. Kenny Lipkowitz.
Ms. Schefzick is a graduate student in Prof. Lipkowitz’ labs in the
Department of Chemistry at Indiana University Purdue
University-Indianapolis (IUPUI) in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Xuelin Wang for the paper entitled “Error Analysis in Density Functional
Theory: Atomization Energies.”  Co-authoring the paper is Prof. Angela
K. Wilson.  Mr. Wang is a graduate student in Prof. Wilson’s labs in the
Department of Chemistry at the University of North Texas, in  Denton,
TX.

The CCG Excellence Awards have been created to stimulate graduate
student participation in COMP Division activities (symposia and poster
sessions) at ACS National Meetings. Winners will receive a one-year
software license of CCG's MOE (Molecular Operating Environment) for
their academic research groups, in addition to travel costs associated
with attending an ACS National Meeting to present their research.

Awardees are chosen on the basis of the quality and significance of the
research to be presented and the strength of the supporting materials.

Please join us in congratulating the winners of the CCG Excellence
Awards for the Chicago ACS Meeting.  We will present the awards at the
COMP Poster Session (Tuesday Evening in McCormick Place South).

Applications for the next round of CCG Excellence Awards will be
accepted shortly.  Application for these awards is a two-step process.
First, one must submit an abstract through the ACS OASYS system for
online paper submissions.  Secondly, an application for the Award must
be submitted to the Treasurer of the COMP division for consideration.

Deadlines for these two steps are different to allow graduate students
time to compile the additional paperwork needed to complete the
application.  Deadlines for the 2002 Fall National Meeting to be held in
Boston, MA, will be announced shortly.  Online submission of abstracts
to the Boston Meeting will be opened sometime in mid-March and close at
midnight eastern time on Monday April 1, 2002.  The website will be
www.acs.org/meetings/boston2002.  Supporting materials must include an
extended 1-2 page abstract for your paper along with a letter of support
> from your research advisor, a two-page CV and a personal statement.
Deadline for supporting information will be announced after the Orlando
National Meeting is completed.

All graduate students are encouraged to submit applications for the
Awards.   Students from the same research group are encouraged to
apply.  Students from research groups that have won awards at previous
ACS meetings are also encouraged to submit applications.  Awards will be
given only to those individuals making presentations, and not
co-authors.

Send all application materials to:

Prof. Curt M. Breneman; Treasurer, ACS COMP Division; RPI Department of
Chemistry; 110 8th St.; Troy, NY 12180