Subject: 2002 Hansch Award

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:42:50 -0500

FIRST NOTICE

Deadline for submitting candidates for the Hansch Award is 3 August
2002.

Call for Nominees for the third Annual Hansch Award

The award consists of $1000 (USD), and will be presented to the winner
at the 14th European Symposium on QSAR in Bournemouth, UK, during the
week of 8-13 September 2002.

Last year’s winner was Gabriele Cruciani (University of Perugia). The
winner in 2000 was Hua Gao (Pharmacia).

Qualifications:

· A person under the age of 40 years,
· who is active in the field of Quantitative Structure-Activity
Relationships, and
· who has contributed significantly to the field.

QSAR is defined broadly, in the same sense that we include papers and
posters at the European Symposium on QSAR and the Gordon Research on
QSAR. Hence, those who deal with drug design, physical properties,
topological indices, molecular models, docking, protein folding,
3D-QSAR, combinatorial library design, similarity analyses, multivariate
statistical analyses, and related topics are eligible. In short, any
quantitative connection between biological or physical properties and
chemical structure that requires computational techniques is
appropriate.

To nominate a candidate, please submit:

· a resume of the nominee’s career, not more than two pages,
· a bibliography of the nominee (as long as necessary),
· no more than three reprints of the nominee’s key publications, i.e.,
those that form the basis of the nomination, and
· a statement (not more than one page) from the nominator as to why his
or her candidate deserves the award.

Send these documents to: Dr. J. W. McFarland at one of the addresses
given below.

In submitting documents, the nominator should not assume that each of
the committee members is aware of the nominee’s accomplishments. In
cases where the nominee is or has been a member of a well-known and
respected research group, there is a danger that the nominee’s
contributions may not be easily distinguished from those of his or her
mentor. Please, indicate how the nominee’s contributions are more than
an obvious extension of his or her mentor’s. A statement from the mentor
is acceptable as an additional document.

The final decision will be made by a committee of five experienced
workers in the field of QSAR.

This announcement is being sent via different mailing lists. You may
receive a duplicate.

For the committee,

J. W. McFarland, Chairman
reckon.dat consulting
217 Blood Street
Lyme, CT 06371-3509, U.S.A.
fax to (860) 434-5125
e-mail: [email-masked].