Subject: Undergraduate Computational Chemistry Conference

From: Steven Feldgus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:52:00 -0400

[This is being posted on behalf of George Shields ([email-masked]).]

April 29, 2002
To Faculty with Research Interests in Computational Chemistry :

I am pleased to announce a national conference devoted solely to 
undergraduate computational chemistry, to be held at Hamilton College 
in Clinton, NY, from July 21-23. This conference is a great 
opportunity for undergraduates to learn about the breadth of research 
in computational chemistry, and to discuss their work with other 
undergraduate computational chemists and leaders in the field. For 
faculty, this conference will be an opportunity to generate a network 
of computational chemists at undergraduate institutions, fostering 
collaboration and developing a sense of community in the field.

We have assembled an excellent group of speakers, all of whom will be 
available to speak with undergraduates about their work or career 
opportunities in the field of computational chemistry. Our confirmed 
speakers include:

	Heather Carlson (University of Michigan)
	Christopher Cramer (University of Minnesota)
	Barbara Garrison (Pennsylvania State University)
	Roberto Gomperts (SGI)
	Michael Gilson (University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute)
	Nick Hodge (Amphora Discovery Corp.)
	Wilma Olson (Rutgers University)
	Harold Scheraga (Cornell University)

The talks will be split between Monday and Tuesday mornings, with 
undergraduate poster sessions taking place in the afternoons. Details 
of the talks (posted as available), as well as links to the speakers 
web sites, can be found on our web site at 
http://mars.chem.hamilton.edu/conference.

Registration is $150 per faculty member, $50 per faculty guest, and 
$50 per undergraduate, and includes:
	* Two nights accommodation in recently-renovated college housing
	* All meals, including a barbeque dinner on Sunday, July 21st
	* A student social activity on Monday night.
Costs for the conference are being kept low due to generous financial 
assistance from Hamilton College and SGI. Registration materials are 
due by June 7th, and the deadline for poster submission is July 8th. 
Undergraduates from any institution are strongly encouraged to submit 
posters. Additional details about accommodations and poster 
submission, including registration forms, can be found on the web 
site listed above.

This conference is the first organized by the MERCURY high 
performance computer center (Molecular Educational Research 
Consortium in Undergraduate computational chemistRY), recently 
created by seven undergraduate institutions with additional funding 
> from NSF. One of the aims of our consortium is to increase the 
visibility of faculty working at predominantly undergraduate 
institutions with undergraduates. If you would like your 
undergraduate research group listed on our web site 
(http://mars.hamilton.chem.edu), please contact our System Manager, 
Jennifer Sturm ([email-masked]). If you know of someone else who 
would be interested in this conference, please distribute this 
information to the appropriate person.

We look forward to seeing you and your students at Hamilton this summer!

Sincerely,

George C. Shields
Professor & Chair
Hamilton College
Department of Chemistry