Subject: Announcement: Molecular Modeling Toolkit release 2.2

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:30:08 +0200

Molecular Modeling Toolkit release 2.2
            ======================================

The Molecular Modelling Toolkit (MMTK) is an Open Source program
library for molecular simulation applications. In addition to
providing ready-to-use implementations of standard algorithms, MMTK
serves as a code basis that can be easily extended and modified to
deal with standard and non-standard problems in molecular simulations.

MMTK's functionality includes

- construction of molecular systems, with special support for proteins
  and nucleic acids
- infinite systems or periodic boundary conditions (orthorhombic
  elementary cells)
- common geometrical operations on coordinates
- rigid-body fits
- visualization using external PDB and VRML viewers; animation of
  dynamics trajectories and normal modes
- the AMBER 94 force field, with several options for handling electrostatic
  interactions
- a deformation force field for fast normal mode calculations on proteins
- energy minimization (steepest descent and conjugate gradient)
- molecular dynamics (with optional thermostat, barostat, and
  distance constraints)
- normal mode analysis
- trajectory operations
- point charge fits
- molecular surface calculations
- interfaces to other programs

Release 2.2 contains numerous small additions, improvements, and
bug fixes. The main new features since the last official release,
2.0, are

- Parallelization on shared-memory machines using threads.
- Parallelization using MPI. The parallelization uses a data replication
  scheme and is therefore efficient only for a relatively small number
  of processors.
- Various harmonic force fields for efficient normal mode calculations
  on proteins.
- Harmonic restraints.
- OPLS force field.
- TrajectoryViewer, a tool for inspecting MMTK trajectories.

For more information and for downloading, see the MMTK Web site at

   http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/MMTK/

or

   http://starship.python.net/~hinsen/MMTK/

See also:

  K. Hinsen
  The Molecular Modeling Toolkit: A New Approach to Molecular Simulations
  J. Comp. Chem. 21, 79-85 (2000)

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: [email-masked]
Centre de Biophysique Moleculaire (CNRS) | Tel.: +33-2.38.25.55.69
Rue Charles Sadron                       | Fax:  +33-2.38.63.15.17
45071 Orleans Cedex 2                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
France                                   | Nederlands/Francais
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------