Subject: Philosophy of Chemistry Meeting in D.C.

From: Eric Scerri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 22:04:04 -0700

International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry (ISPC)
Georgetown University, Washington, DC.            August 5 - 8, 2002 

Plenary Sessions (Room 103 Healy Hall )
"Philosophy of Chemistry: From Infancy Towards Maturity,"J. Schummer, 
Univ. of Karlsruhe, Germany
"Chemistry and the Structural Pattern of Explanation," R. Harré, 
Georgetown University
"The Issue of Reduction," J, van Brakel, K. U., Leuven, Belgium.
"Mechanisms vs. Pathways in Biochemistry," L. Darden, Univ. of Maryland
"Philosophical Confusion in Chemical Education Research," E. Scerri, UCLA
"National Science Foundation Programs Related to Philosophy of 
Chemistry," A. Ellis,  B Seely, NSF
"Science and Art: Two Ways of Seeing," B. Berrie, National Gallery of 
Art, (West Bldg. Lecture Hall, NGA)

Concurrent Sessions (103,104,105 Healy Hall)
Philosophical Problems in Chemical Explanation
"The Physicists, the Chemists and the Pragmatics of Explanation," R. 
F. Hendry, The U. of Durham, UK
"Natural Kinds, Explanation, and Essentialism in Chemistry," R. 
Vihalemm, The U. of Tartu, Estonia
"A Sketch of Macroscopic Ontology," P. Needham, The U. of Stockholm, Sweden.
"Sums or Products? Objects or States?" G. K. Vemulapalli, The Univ. 
of Arizona, AZ.
"Can 'Things' Be Made Up of 'Features' or 'Properties'?" J. Earley, 
Georgetown Univ.

  Chemical Explanation Exemplified
"Semi-empirical Models of Protein Folding: Construction and 
Evaluation in Theory Construction," J. Ramsey, Smith College
"Chirality and Handedness: the Ruch 'Shoe-Potato' Dichotomy in 
Right-Left Classifications," R. B, King, Univ. of Ga.
"Electronegativity and Base Strength," H. Raubenheimer, G. 
Heydenrych, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
"Explanation in Organic Chemistry," W. Goodwin, Univiversity of 
California, Berkeley
"Explaining Instrumental Techniques of Analytical Chemistry," D. 
Rothbart, George Mason University

Representation, Visualization and Chemical Explanation
"Beyond the Dimensionality of Visualization in Chemistry," A. 
Burewicz, N. Miranowicz, A. Mickiewicz U., Poland.
"Molecular Aesthetics: From the Empirical to the Constitutive," T. 
Spector, The University of San Francisco
"Writing As Thinking," J. Kovac, The University of Tennessee
"A Mathematical Proposal for Linking the Natural Sciences," J. 
Chandler, Krasnow Institute, George Mason Univ.
"Paradoxes of Measurement," P. Heelan, Georgetown University

History and Chemical Explanation
"Philosophy of Science and History3 of Science,"  F. M. Akeroyd, 
Bradford College, UK."
"Richard Rufus' Theory of Mixture," M. Weisberg, Stanford University, CA.
"Mendeleev's Discovery of the Periodic Law: the Origin and the 
Reception," M. Kaji, Tokyo Inst. of  Technology,
"Changing Identities and Shifting Domains: Development of NMR 
Spectroscopy 1956-1969", J. Roberts, VPI&SU.

Chemical Explanation and Ultimate Concerns 
"Chemical Explanations, Metaphysical Realism and Tacit Knowledge," W. 
Brandt, Univ. of Wisc., Milwaukee.
"Mind, Fitness, and Ambiguity: Chemical Emergences,"  R. Khuri, Falls 
Church, VA.
"Chemical Explanations in Science and Spirituality,"  K. Hojo, Chiba, Japan.
"Creation as a Principle in Chemistry," H. Vancik, The University of 
Zagreb, Croatia.
" 'Complexification' and Self-Organization in a Process  Philosophy 
of Union,"  J. Salmon, Loyola College.
An Ethical Issue for Contemporary Chemistry," E. Klingsberg, Washington, DC

Explanation and Chemical Physics
"Physical Explanation of the Periodic Table," V. Ostrovsky, The 
University of St. Petersburg, Russia
"Modal Domains and Quantal Protectorates,"  G.  Farre, Georgetown University
"Is the First Law Harmful?" G. Job, T. Lankau, The University of 
Hamburg, Germany
"A Qualitative Account of the Chemical Bond in Terms of the Laws of 
Physics,"  S. Vollmer, H. Kincaid, U. Ala, Birmingham.
"Is Chemistry a Gauge Theory?" J. Mattingly, Georgetown University

Schedule at http://www.georgetown.edu/earleyj/ISPC.html   Contact: 
Earleyj@ georgetown.
-- 

Dr. Eric Scerri ,
UCLA,
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry,
607 Charles E. Young Drive East,
Los Angeles,  CA 90095-1569
USA

E-mail :   [email-masked]
tel:  310 206 7443
fax:  310 206 2061
Web Page:    http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Faculty/scerri/index.html

Editor  of  Foundations of Chemistry
http://www.kluweronline.com/issn/1386-4238

Also see International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry
http://www.georgetown.edu/earleyj/ISPC.html