Subject: Re: CCL:History question

From: "Jens Spanget-Larsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:48:43 +0100

Jan Dillen:

> There is a (very good) book by Barbara Lovett Cline:
> "The questioners: physicists and the quantum theory"
> (Thomas Crowell Co, New York, 1965) where it is said that
> a statement of this type was communicated by the "head of the
> physics department" to Max Planck when he wanted to enter 
> the university. The book mentions that this happened in
> 1875. No name is given for this departmental head, 
> but Planck started his studies at Munich, and moved on
> to Berlin at a later stage.

Dear Jan,
thank you for your message. Maybe the "head of physics department" was
Phillip von Jolly? Andreas Klamt sent me the following message. Yours,
Jens >--<

-------------------------------------------------------------------
From:   "Dr. Andreas Klamt" <[email-masked]>

Jens,

here is the passage from page 9/10 out of the book "Planck", by Armin
Hermann, Rowohlt, 1973.

"Der vielseitig Begabte (Max Planck im Jahre 1874, Anmerkung A. Klamt)
schwankte, ob er Musik, Altphilologie oder Physik studieren sollte.
Als er sich nach den Aussichten eines Musikstudiums erkundigte,
erhielt er die Antwort: "Wenn Sie schon fragen, studieren Sie was
anderes!" Auch der Muenchener Physiker Phillip von Jolly riet dringend
ab: In der Physik sei im wesentlichen schon alles erforscht, und es
gebe nur noch einige unbedeutende Luecken auszufuellen. AEhnlich
betrachtete der Physiologe Emil Du Bois-Reymond die mechanische
Theorie, an der Spitze das Energieprinzip, als den Hoehepunkt und
endgueltigen Schlussstein der Physik."

Regards

Andreas

NB! Please note new mail address: <[email-masked]>
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
JENS SPANGET-LARSEN         Office:         +45 4674 2710
Department of Chemistry     Fax:            +45 4674 3011
Roskilde University (RUC)   Mobile:         +45 2320 6246
P.O.Box 260                 E-Mail:        [email-masked]
DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark   http://virgil.ruc.dk/~spanget
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=