Subject: CCL: Max Planck and Philipp von Jolly

From: "Jens Spanget-Larsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:41:26 +0100

Dear CCL,
thanks a lot to all of you who contributed to my 'history question'.
The story of Philipp von Jolly discouraging the young Max Planck from
entering the field of Physics can be found on numerous www-pages.
Below just a few quotations.

Yours, Jens >--< 

------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Planck.html

In 1874, at the age of 16, he entered the University of Munich. 
Before he began his studies he discussed the prospects of research in
physics with Philipp von Jolly, the professor of physics there, and
was told that physics was essentially a complete science with little
prospect of further developments. Fortunately Planck decided to study
physics despite the bleak future for research that was presented to
him.
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.psicounsel.com/end.html

"When I began my physical studies [in Munich in 1874] and sought
advice from my venerable teacher Philipp von Jolly... he portrayed to
me physics as a highly developed, almost fully matured science...
Possibly in one or another nook there would perhaps be a dust particle
or a small bubble to be examined and classified, but the system as a
whole stood there fairly secured, and theoretical physics approached
visibly that degree of perfection which, for example, geometry has had
already for centuries."

    - from a 1924 lecture by Max Planck   (Sci. Am, Feb 1996 p.10)
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.astronomiepur.de/mthemen/mtapril01.html

Als er sich bei Philipp von Jolly nach den Aussichten eines 
Physikstudiums erkundigte, riet dieser dringend ab: In der Physik sei
im wesentlichen schon alles erforscht, und es gaebe nur noch einige
Luecken auszufuellen. AEhnlich betrachtete damals Emil Du Bois-Reymond
die theoretische Mechanik mit dem Energieprinzip an der Spitze als
Hoehepunkt und endgueltigen Schlussstein der Physik: Ende des 19.
Jahrhunderts und um die Jahrhundertwende war fuer das Buergertum in
Europa eine konservative Einstellung typisch. Sowohl die staatliche
Ordnung wie die Wissenschaft wurden als gefestigt angesehen; nach
einer stuermischen Aufbauphase glaubte man an die Erhaltung des
Bestehenden. In diesem "Denkklima" haben sich die Auffassungen Plancks
von der Wissenschaft und vom Staate geformt, und schon deshalb hat es
eines ungeheuren inneren Kampfes bedurft, dass er diese UEberzeugungen
spaeter durch andere Ansichten zu ersetzen vermochte.
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.uni-potsdam.de/u/putz/dez00/plancki.htm

Er solle lieber nicht Physik studieren, hatte ihm vor ueber 100 Jahren
der Physikprofessor Philipp von Jolly geraten. In diesem Fach, so die
Begruendung, sei bereits alles weitgehend bekannt. Es war wohl ein
Gluecksfall, dass Max Planck sich von diesem Rat nicht beeindrucken
liess und mit dem Studium der Physik begann. Vor genau 100 Jahren, am
14. Dezember 1900, hielt er in Berlin einen Vortrag, der als der
Beginn der Quantenphysik in die Geschichte eingehen sollte.
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.gwu.edu/~physics/newslet/news6.htm

"Physics in our Future" 
Scott Crawford, GW Graduate Student

Dramatic developments in physics are often completely unexpected.
Consider, for instance, the account given by Max Planck of his own
experience before beginning his studies at the University of Munich.
Professor Philipp von Jolly told him that physics was essentially a
complete science with little prospect for further developments*. Given
subsequent theoretical insight and technological advances, such as the
transistor and the development of the integrated circuit, the laser,
superconductivity, microwave devices, jets, chemical rockets and ion
propulsion, and nuclear energy, it is difficult to imagine an
intelligent person supposing that physics was essentially complete a
little more than hundred years ago! Fortunately, Max Planck was not
dissuaded, and he went on to revolutionize classical physics in 1900
by introducing the theory of the quantum of energy. The point, in
fact, is that we cannot know when the next innovation might occur, nor
do we know where it might eventually lead. Conceivably, an innovation
in any one of the specialties of physics can each lead to a whole new
epoch. My personal aspiration is to study physics so that I may fully
appreciate and, perchance, contribute to this now much anticipated
revolution in science. While I realize that we cannot foresee when a
sea change will occur, I remain confident that our best insights are
yet to come.

* In this regard the following remarks, made a few years earlier, are
of interest:

"_the opinion seems to have got abroad, that in a few years all the
great physical constants will have been approximately estimated, and
that the only occupation that will be left to men of science will be
to carry on these measurements to another place of decimals_ But we
have no right to think thus of the unsearchable riches of creation, or
of the untried fertility of those fresh minds into which these riches
will be poured."

James Clerk Maxwell, Inaugural Lecture as first Cavendish Professor in
Cambridge, 25 October, 1871
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~q61/qm100.html

Max Planck

Fuer die von ihm ausgeloeste Revolution war der 1858 als Sohn eines
Jura-Professors an der Universitaet Kiel geborene Max Planck (Bild 1)
keineswegs praedestiniert. Als Schueler auf dem Maximiliansgymnasium in
Muenchen war seine herausragende physikalische Begabung jedenfalls noch
nicht sehr deutlich in Erscheinung getreten, wenngleich sein Lehrer
Hermann Mueller sein mathematisches und physikalisches Interesse
weckte, und er auch auf allen anderen Gebieten ein sehr guter Schueler
war. 1874 begann er das Physikstudium an der Universitaet Muenchen -
fand dort aber wenig Ermutigung durch seinen Professor Philipp von
Jolly, der ihm riet, besser etwas anderes als Physik zu studieren, da
alle fundamentalen Gesetze bereits bekannt seien und die Physiker sich
deshalb nur noch mit unwesentlichen Details abgeben muessten.
------------------------------------------------------------------

NB! Please note new mail address: <[email-masked]>
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
JENS SPANGET-LARSEN         Office:         +45 4674 2710
Department of Chemistry     Fax:            +45 4674 3011
Roskilde University (RUC)   Mobile:         +45 2320 6246
P.O.Box 260                 E-Mail:        [email-masked]
DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark   http://virgil.ruc.dk/~spanget
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=