Subject: FYI:[PyMOL] Major PyMOL Announcement (fwd)

From: Eugen Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:17:53 +0200 (CEST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 19:32:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Warren L. DeLano 1 <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PyMOL] Major PyMOL Announcement

Dear PyMOL Users around the Globe:

   Folks, I have made a tough decision.  Like many of you, I believe
that PyMOL has the potential to become an effective software tool for
bioinformatics, structural biology, computational chemistry,
cheminformatics, and Science education.  However, by myself, working in my
spare time, I can not bring this project to fruition.  The task is too
large, and I am just one very busy guy.

   For much of the past year, I have been soliciting donations for the
project as well as outside assistance in the hopes that sufficient
resources would materialize to enable the effort to grow.  While key
contributions have come in via license purchases from companies such
as Pfizer, Incyte, and Scherring-Plough, the aggregate response has been
insufficient to warrant further pursuit of a purely volitional funding
model.

   My optimistic (perhaps naive) vision that a majority of PyMOL users
would voluntarily choose to contribute to the project can no longer be
sustained given that less than 5% of PyMOL users have actually done so,
and at the same time user requests (and complaints) have increased
dramatically.

   So be it.  It is time for another approach.

   Therefore, in order to significantly increase the scope and
effectiveness of PyMOL development, documentation, support, and
usability, PyMOL will split into a dual-license/dual-version
software package within a year.

   The existing version will remain free and unrestricted open-source
software.  It will include all of the features already found in PyMOL and
then some.

   The new version will contain an additional assortment of desirable
functionality, including a modern user interface as well as updated
documentation,  examples, tutorials, and so on.  This version will
exist SOLELY TO INCENTIVIZE SUPPORT for the entire project, and will not
be redistributable as open-source software, although source code will be
obtainable, if needed.  However, this new Incentive Version will ONLY be
made available to active Supporters of the PyMOL effort.

I will define "Supporters" of PyMOL as the following:

  - individuals or organizations who purchase a software license
    or contribute funding at specified annual levels.
  - users who contribute substantial code or documentation
  - users who consistently provide peer-to-peer support
  - users who themselves develop or maintain their own major
    free and/or open-source projects (for example, MMTK or MAGE)

   In addition, students and educators will be able to use the incentive
version for class related activities at no cost.

   In order to insure the continued vitality of Free PyMOL, Incentive
PyMOL (iPyMOL) will utilize and expand the free version as its core
component.  My strategy will be to stuff as much useful functionality in
the free version (thus achieving most of the original goal of universal
availability), while at the same time providing an effective reward
(iPyMOL) for material supporters of the project.  Free PyMOL will
continue to be a good target for integrative efforts with external
packages (such GAMESS-UK, MMTK, PP, or PHENIX).

   With the proceeds from iPyMOL, I will grow DeLano Scientific into a
viable organization that will develop, maintain, and support both
versions for as long as they continue to be scientifically relevant.  The
actual timeframe for this growth depends on many factors, but at a
minimum I would like to see one full-time equivalent dedicated to PyMOL by
the end of 2003.  That might be myself, or it might be one or more
contractors working under my direction while I continue devoting my
daytime efforts to the long-term success of Sunesis Pharmaceuticals.

   The first version of Incentive PyMOL (iPyMOL) will be released within a
year, and probably within the next 6 mos.  At that point, I will raise
the software licensing fees above their current (optional) levels.
However, I fully intend to keep iPyMOL's cost well below that of
comparable products offered by other companies in this sector.  As a
manager of software infrastructure at Sunesis, I understand as well as
anyone just how important affordability and flexibility is when it comes
to scientific research software.  PyMOL's very existence has been my
public statement on this issue, and I will continue to make it for as
long as I can.

   As a reward for early support, those who contribute to or who
license PyMOL at the recommended levels (http://www.pymol.org/donate.html)
prior to the release of iPyMOL will be able to access iPyMOL for no
additional cost through the duration of their maintenance term and will
receive an enduring discount on iPyMOL.  Otherwise, new rates will
apply.

   I welcome your comments and feedback on this impending change.  In
some ways it is a disappointment for me personally, and I suspect it may
disappoint some die-hard open-source advocates out there, but a reality
check is sometimes necessary.  Sure you can make a free lunch, but you
can't expect sufficient nourishment in return.

   On the positive side, if this approach succeeds, then even the
free and open-source version of PyMOL will become far more powerful than
anything I could have produced working alone in my spare time, and that
will be good for all of us.

Thanks for your support.

Warren
[email-masked]
PyMOL Creator

-------------------------------------------------------
This sf.net email is sponsored by: OSDN - Tired of that same old
cell phone?  Get a new here for FREE!
https://www.inphonic.com/r.asp?r=sourceforge1&refcode1=vs3390
_______________________________________________
PyMOL-users mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/pymol-users