Subject: Re: CCL:GAMESS on a Laptop

From: Serguei Patchkovskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:43:12 -0400

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. wrote:
> Connect to kickoff socket by process 0 has failed, error 101
> ddikick: Trapped SIGCHLD: Unexpected termination of a child process.
> What is an error 101? How is it corrected?

If you look at the source code of ddikick, you'll sse that this 
error message is issued if the following system call fails:

  connect( sock, (struct sockaddr *) &netsoc, sizeof(netsoc) )

The error code is simply the errno value, returned by the 
operating system. Now, if you look up this errno value in
/usr/include/asm/errno.h, you'll find it's meaning:

#define     ENETUNREACH     101     /* Network is unreachable */

Now, on your laptop, issue the command:

ping `hostname`

My $2 bet is that ping will respond with "Network unreachable".

The most likely reason for this is that the host name of your
laptop (returned by "hostname") is associated with an IP address
assigned either to a PCMCIA network card, or to a dialup 
interface. When these are not available (i.e. when you are not
connected to the Internet), this IP address becomes unreachable.

There are two solutions - the quick one, and the right one.

The quick solution is to go into rungms script, search for
all instances of the string `hostname` (don't forget the
backticks!), and replace it with "localhost".

The right solution is to make sure that the default host name
of your laptop is always associated with valid, reachable IP
address. One way of doing this is to keep a dummy ethernet
interface (implemented by network driver "dummy") loaded, when
you are not connected to the Internet. If you are not certain
on how to proceed with this, look up your resident Linux wizard.

Hope this helps,

Serguei

---
Tel: +1-(613)-991-2719
Fax: +1-(613)-947-2838
E-mail: [email-masked]

Coordinator of Modelling Software
Theory and Computation Group
Steacie Institute for Molecular Sciences
National Research Council Canada
Room 2006/8, 100 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0R6 Canada