Subject: Call for papers: 2003 Spring ACS symposium on Molecular motors

From: Qiang Cui <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 23:05:58 -0600

Call for papers (deadline, Nov. 1st).

Understanding the physical chemistry of biomolecular motors

A symposium to be held at the 2003 Spring ACS national meeting
Physical chemistry Division, co-sponsored by the Computers in Chemistry 
Division
March, 23-27, 2003, New Orleans, Louisiana

Organizers:

Qiang Cui, Dept. of Chem. Univ. of Wisc., Madison, WI 53706 
([email-masked])
Carlos Bustamante, Dept. of Chem. Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 
([email-masked])

       Go to http://oasys.acs.org./oasys.htm

       Then follow the instructions.  Make sure you select the
       Physical Chemistry Division, and our symposium.

Summary:
Molecular motors are fascinating nanomachines that interconvert energy 
between chemical (e.g., ATP binding or hydrolysis) and mechanical forms. 
The symposium brings together experts from three different research 
disciplines including experimental biophysics (X-ray crystallography, 
NMR, single molecule techniques, kinetics), microscopic simulations 
(quantum and classical molecular dynamics) and theoretical 
physics/chemistry (phenomenological modeling) to discuss the physical 
and chemical principles that govern the functional mechanisms of 
biomolecular motors. Questions of major interests include: how do 
molecular motors move? What are significant chemical and conformational 
intermediate states, what are their structures and in what sequence do 
they occur? What are the rate-limiting steps? What are the driving 
forces of molecular motors, and what are the enthalpic vs. entropic 
contributions? What is the significance of stochastic characters of the 
motor motions and how to define the efficiency of energy conversion? How 
are the chemical events (nucleotide binding and hydrolysis) and 
mechanical processes coupled?

List of accepted speakers

Biophysical (Structural, dynamical and catalytic aspects)

W. S. Allison (UCSD), P. Boyer (UCLA), R. Cooke (UCSF), R. Fletterick
(UCSF), R. H. Fillingame (UW, Madison), S. Gilbert (Pittsburghe), D. 
Hackney (CMU),
W. Junge (Osnabruck), R. Milligan (Scripps), I. Rayment (UW, Madison), K.
Kinosita (IMS), L. Sweeney (U. Penn), J. Weber (Rochester), M. Yoshida
(Tokyo Inst.), J. E. Walker (MRC), W. Wriggers (Scripps)

Microscopic simulations
J. Åqvist (Uppsala), C. L. Brooks (Scripps), J. Florian (USC), H.
Grubmuller (Max Planck), M. Karplus (Harvard), J. Ma (Baylor), J. A.
McCammon (UCSD), T. J. Minehardt (U. Colorado), T. Schlick (NYC), K.
Schulten (UIUC), A. Warshel (USC)

Phenomenological models
M. Fisher (Maryland), H. Qian (Washington), J. Wang (Stony Brook)

________________________________________________________

Qiang Cui
Assistant Professor of Chemistry		
Department of Chemistry & Theoretical Chemistry Institute
Rm. 8305-I
University of Wisconsin, Madison
1101 University Ave
Madison, WI 53706
Phone:  	608-262-9801
Fax:		608-262-4782		
Email:	[email-masked]
Web:	http://www.chem.wisc.edu/main/people/faculty/cui.html
Group:	http://kandinsky.chem.wisc.edu/~qiang
________________________________________________________