Subject: Re: CCL:whom to teach what

From: "Peter Gannett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:31:17 -0500

All:

This discussion is getting to a different point, I think, but
nonetheless a good one.  First, the original one, I agree that physical
chemistry has the most math, etc., but this does not necessarily mean
that physical chemists are all computational chemists.  In my mind, it
is becoming a field unto itself.

The second part of this - part of the value of computational chemistry
is that it provides tools useful for all chemists (and other disciplines
like biochemists) but only if computational chemists can talk with lab
chemists AND lab chemists can talk with computational chemists.  This
can not be a one sided affair if it is to be productive.

My 2 cents.

Pete

>>> Mihaly Mezei <[email-masked]> 11/11/02 02:06PM >>>
> of chemists, and so on.  To a degree, I am plugged in to the
experimental
> program.  "How to talk to the lab chemists" seems to be one of the
weaker
> points in the academic training of new computational chemists.  As
the field
> becomes increasingly specialized ("a recognizable science"), I wonder
how
> this connection, important to the industrial side, will be
maintained?

Hmmm. What about teaching the lab chemists to talk to the
computational
chemists?

Mihaly Mezei,

Dept. of Physiology & Biophysics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
           Voice: (212) 241-2186     Fax: (212) 860-3369|
                 WWW (MSSM home): http://

adsr13.mssm.edu/domains/dept/facultyInfo.epl?objname=physbio&user=mezeim01
    WWW (Lab home - software, publications):
http://inka.mssm.edu/~mezei 

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
[email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To
Admins
Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan:
[email-masked]