Subject: New PyMOL Release: 0.86

From: "Warren L. DeLano" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:51:05 -0800 (PST)

PyMOL 0.86 has been released.  Session saves and Amber trajectory file
reads are the main new features.  Usability is slightly improved over
previous versions.

With session saves, PyMOL is now more useful to computational chemists
who need to share models and 3D structures with other collaborating
scientists.  PyMOL session files can be sent as email attachments or
shared via local intranets.  A "naive" user can simply double-click on the
session file and then manipulate exactly what you would like to show them
> from within PyMOL.

Likewise, PyMOL can now become much more useful for educators in creating
"live" examples for their students, without the server infrastructure
required to support something like Chime.

Unlike the commercial alternatives, PyMOL can be freely redistributed to
all of your students and collaborators.  Binaries are currently available
for Windows, Linux, and SGI.

http://pymol.sf.net

Never heard of PyMOL?  PyMOL is a powerful free and open-source molecular
visualization system created by Warren L. DeLano.   Although the user
interface is still somewhat primitive, it has impressive graphics, a
rich command language, and powerful scripting support, including a native
Python API.

We now have several hundred subscribers on the PyMOL mailing list --
encouraging evidence that PyMOL is really helping some people to get
their research done.  Please do give it a try sometime!

Cheers,
Warren L. DeLano Ph.D.
DeLano Scientific LLC

PS. An OSX mac version supporting session files will be released soon.