Subject: Re: CCL:sofwares for non-linear fitting!!

From: Rodolphe Pollet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:14:32 +0100 (MET)

>From: Pradipta Bandyopadhyay <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: CCL:sofwares for non-linear fitting!!

>    What are the best softwares (free and for UNIX) to do non-linear
>fitting for a very large amount of data?

gnuplot :)

***********************************************************
   Rodolphe POLLET          EQUIPE DE CHIMIE THEORIQUE  
                            Laboratoire Francis Perrin
                                 DSM/DRECAM/SPAM
                        Commissariat a l´Energie Atomique
                           91 191 Gif-sur-Yvette CEDEX
 Tel   : 01 69 08 37 40
 Fax   : 01 69 08 87 07

 mailto:[email-masked]
 http://www-drecam.cea.fr/spam/themes/chimietheo/index.html
***********************************************************

---

From: Szilveszter Juhos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:15:54 +0000 (GMT)

> fitting for a very large amount of data?

Hello, non-linear fitting is a quite huge topic from fitting simple
nonlinear functions to neural-net based stuff. If you have too many
points, be aware of the robustness of the procedure. In short if you have
too many points at some part of the data, that will be overrepresented
biasing the final parameter estimates.  Softwares you can try:

http://www.octave.org/

"GNU Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for numerical 
computations. It provides a convenient command line interface for solving 
linear and nonlinear problems numerically, and for performing other 
numerical experiments using a language that is mostly compatible with 
Matlab."

http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/

"Grace is a WYSIWYG 2D plotting tool for the X Window System and M*tif. 
Grace runs on practically any version of Unix-like OS. " (it also has 
curve fitting capabilities)

http://www.gnuplot.info/

Gnuplot itself can do some nonlinear fitting, type "help fit" in its 
command prompt.

Hope it helps:

Szilva