Subject: quantum Monte Carlo symposium-NYC

From: Stuart Rothstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 19:41:00 -0500

RE: Recent Advances in Quantum Monte Carlo

The titled symposium will be held at the 226th National ACS Meeting in New
York City, September 7-11, 2003.

Recent benchmarks and algorithm developments suggest that quantum Monte
Carlo (QMC) simulations of molecular systems achieve an accuracy on par with
analytical ab initio methods of comparable sophistication, but with the
promise of a much more favorable scaling of the required computer resources
with the size of the system under investigation. This is a dynamic field,
now with over 200 publications each year . We have invited leaders in the
development of QMC algorithms and others who have applied these to a myriad
of chemical and physical problems, ranging from isolated atoms and molecules
to clusters, bio-molecules, and condensed matter.

Invited talks will be 40 minutes long and contributed ones are 20 minutes.
Contributed talks are welcome. The deadline for submission of abstracts is
April 11, 2003 at the following URL:  http://oasys.acs.org/oasys.htm .
Directions are self-explanatory.

Organizers:

James B. Anderson, Penn State University ([email-masked])
Stuart M. Rothstein, Brock University ([email-masked])

Invited speakers:

Pietro Ballone, University of Messina, Italy
Dario Bressanini, Università dell'Insubria, Italy
Michel Caffarel, University of Paris, Jussieu, France
Claudia Filippi, University of Leiden, Netherlands
Heinz-Jürgen Flad, Max-Planck-Institute Leipzig, Germany
Jeffrey Grossman, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA
Mal Kalos, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA
William A. Lester, Jr., University of California at Berkeley, USA
Arne Lüchow, University of Dusseldorf, Germany
Anne McCoy, Ohio State University, USA
Massimo Melia, Oxford University, UK
Lubos Mitás, North Carolina State University, USA
Richard Needs, Cambridge University, UK
M. Peter Nightingale, University of Rhode Island, USA
Shigenori Tanaka, Toshiba Corporation, Japan
Cyrus Umrigar, Cornell University, USA
K. Birgitta Whaley, University of California at Berkeley, USA
Andrew Williamson, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA