Subject: Prof. Alexander Ovchinnikov dies

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:04:13 -0500 (EST)

I am reporting with great sadness that Professor Alexander Ovchinnikov
recently died of heart failure.	

Prof. Alexander Anatolievich Ovchinnikow was born on November 11, 1938.
In 1970 he became a professor of Chemical Physics. In 1981 he joined
the Russian Academy of Sciences as a corresponding member. He held
important scientific posts (Karpov Institute of Chemical Physics,
Department of Electronics of Organic Materials at Institute of Chemical
Physics of RAS). After spending some time at the Max-Planck Institute
for Physics of Complex Systems in Dresden, he returned to Moscow
to head the Department of Electronics of Organic Materials at
the Institute of Biochemical Physics of RAS ( http://ibcp.chph.ras.ru/ ).
A memorial service will be held at his Institute at 10:30 am Moscow time,
on Tue, March 11, 2003.

He will be remembered for his friendly and open attitude, always ready
to help and assist. He will be missed by many in the scientific community
as a friend, mentor, and teacher. His knowledge and understanding
are irreplaceable.

He is survived by his wife Marina and his sons.

For me personally, and for all of us who had a chance to know Sasha
and to work with him, it is an unexpected and tragic news...

Jan K. Labanowski
[email-masked]