Subject: Gold 1.2 segfaults on Red Hat 8.0

From: Mikko Huhtala <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:24:34 +0200

The Linux binary of Gold 1.2 segfaults on Red Hat 8.0 systems. I
upgraded from Mandrake 8.2, where Gold runs without problems. The
native compiler on RH 8.0 is GCC 3.2, which, I think, is binary
incompatible with GCC 2.96 (Mdk 8.2). Apparently the libstdc++/libc in
RH 8.0 do not work with Gold, even though I have the libstdc++-compat
package installed. According to GDB, the segfault occurs in
__libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6.

Has anyone managed to run Gold on RH 8.0? Is the upcoming Gold 2.0
going to be compatible with GCC 3.2 -based distributions?

Mikko

---

From: Szilveszter Juhos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:32:56 +0000 (GMT)

> incompatible with GCC 2.96 (Mdk 8.2). Apparently the libstdc++/libc in

Hello, 
If you check http://gcc.gnu.org, there is no such a thing like gcc 2.96 :/ 
It is invented by RH and unfortunatelly have loads of compatibility 
problems. If the compatibility libs are on your system, you can try:

make CC=egcs CXX=egcs++ 

that is still an old version (2.91). Other option is to get a real 
compiler from the gcc website and re-compile it for yourself. Takes some 
time but worth it.

Cheers:
Szilva