Subject: Canadian Computational Chemistry Conf

From: Jeremy Schofield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:58:52 -0500

First Announcement and Call for Abstracts
         5th Canadian Computational Chemistry Conference (CCCC5)
             http://www.chem.utoronto.ca/symposium/cccc5/

We are pleased to announce that the 5th annual Canadian Computational
Chemistry Conference will be held in Toronto, Canada on July 27-30, 2003.
The meeting is intended to foster the excellence of computational chemistry
in Canada. One of the principal goals of the conference is to highlight the
impact of computational chemistry in academia, industry and society. As in
the previous incarnations of this meeting, a program covering major new
directions in research and applications of the computational discipline has
been put together, with a special emphasis on computational chemistry
applied to biophysics and material science. For this purpose, we have
prepared a program of speakers actively involved in developing new methods
and applications of high performance computing in chemistry and related
areas.

The meeting will be held on the campus of the University of Toronto, with
inexpensive rooms available on campus and in nearby hotels at special rates.
Toronto is an exciting, diverse city with many attractions, ranging from
excellent museums to fine dining. Since Toronto is the largest urban centre
in Canada, travel to and from the city is easy and relatively inexpensive.
The costs of the meeting are modest (all figures in Canadian dollars):
             Students/Post-docs: $100 (early) - $130 (after June 1)
             All others: $300 (early) - $330 (after June 1)
             Included in the prices above are registration, Banquet and
Reception.

This edition of the conference targets a number of areas in which
computational chemistry has a large impact, including applications in
material science, computational studies of rough energy landscapes, soluble
and membrane proteins, advances in structure-based drug design,
self-assembly, membranes, and transport, in-silico adme/tox in drug
discovery, and the development of new methods in quantum chemistry. A number
of outstanding researchers have been invited for the fifth edition of this
meeting, including:

     Tucker Carrington (UdeM)
     Emily Carter (UCLA)
     Gerbrand Ceder (MIT)
     G.M. Crippen (Michigan)
     Gabriel Cruciani (ADME Perugia)
     Julian Gale (Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine)
     Angel Garcia (LANL)
     Shekhar Garde (Rensselaer)
     Phillip Geissler (MIT)
     P. Grutenhuis (Deltagen)
     Hannes Jonsson (Iceland)
     Leslie Kuhn (Michigan State)
     Glen Martyna (Indiana)
     Andrew McCammon (UCSD)
     Gilles Peslherbe (Concordia)
     Enrico Purísima (BRI Montréal)
     D. Reichman (Harvard)
     Pierre-Nicolas Roy (Alberta)
     Klaus Schulten (UIUC)
     Michiel Sprik (Cambridge University)
     Peter Tieleman (Calgary)

Each session of the meeting will consist of a combination of a number of
invited lectures complemented by several oral presentations selected from
submitted abstracts. In addition, an important component of the conference
will be two poster sessions covering all aspects of computational chemistry.
Abstracts from all sectors including industry, academia and government are
welcome.  We strongly encourage you and any interested colleague to visit
the conference web page, submit an abstract, and attend this informal,
"Gordon Conference" style meeting.

For submission of poster abstracts please go to our website
             (http://www.chem.utoronto.ca/symposium/cccc5/)
and follow the instructions for electronic submission.

We hope to see you there!

The Organizing Committee:
--------------------------------------------------
Jeremy Schofield,
Department of Chemistry,
University of Toronto
http://www.chem.utoronto.ca/staff/JMS/schofield_j.html

John S. Tse,
Steacie Institute for Molecular Science,
National Research Council of Canada
http://www.sims.nrc.ca/sims/theory_e.html

Sanjay Srivastava,
Chemistry Department,
AstraZeneca R&D Montreal
http://www.astrazeneca-montreal.com

Régis Pomès,
Structural Biology & Biochemistry,
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
http://www.sickkids.on.ca/research/custom/profiles/p