Subject: Call for speakers: protein folding kinetics symposium, Sept. 2003

From: Jed W Pitera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:20:29 -0800

Symposium: Theory and simulation of protein folding kinetics

Conference:       226th National ACS Meeting
            New York City, NY USA
            September 7-11, 2003

Description:

      Simulation and experiment are rapidly converging in the field of
protein folding.  The fastest folding protein reported to date folds on a 4
microsecond timescale, while individual molecular dynamics simulations of
proteins on the 50-100 nanosecond timescale are becoming commonplace.
Aggregate simulation times have been extended into the multi-microsecond
regime by distributed computing techniques.  This symposium will provide a
forum for discussing new results in the simulation of folding kinetics,
open theoretical questions, and issues in comparing theory and simulation
to experimental kinetics.  Questions to be addressed may include, but are
not limited to:

            Extraction of rates and time constants from simulation data or
theoretical models.
            Direct simulation of folding kinetics -- quantitative
comparisons with experiment.
            Native structure predictors of folding kinetics, transition
states, etc.
            The balance of energetics and topology and its influence on
folding rates.
            Effects of structure in the “unfolded” state on folding
kinetics.
            Master equation approaches and other abstract models of folding
kinetics.

Speakers to date include:
            Cecilia Clementi (Rice)
            Yong Duan (U. Delaware)
            Gerhard Hummer (NIH)
            Vijay Pande (Stanford)
            Joan Shea (UCSB)
            Yaoqui Zhou (SUNY Buffalo)

Organizer:  Jed W. Pitera, IBM Research ([email-masked])

Deadline:   Submitted talks are welcome!  Abstracts for talks must be
submitted to http://oasys.acs.org/oasys.htm by 11 April 2003.