Subject: Optimization aborted.-- Gradient out of range.-- Maximum allowed force = ********

From: Katie Doucet <kgdct~at~mta.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:02:50 -0400

I was wondering if anyone knew what this Gaussian 98 error message means and 
how to solve the problem? I am running an IRC for a degradation pathway

Berny optimization.
 Internal  Forces:  Max             nan RMS            -nan
 Search for a local minimum.
 Step number  68 out of a maximum of 100
 All quantities printed in internal units (Hartrees-Bohrs-Radians)
                          R1        R2        R3        R4        R5
           -DE/DX           nan       nan       nan       nan       nan
                          R6        R7        R8        R9        R10
           -DE/DX           nan       nan       nan       nan       nan
                          R11       A1        A2        A3        A4
           -DE/DX           nan       nan       nan       nan       nan
                          A5        A6        A7        A8        A9
           -DE/DX           nan       nan       nan       nan       nan
                          A10       A11       A12       A13       D1
           -DE/DX           nan       nan       nan       nan       nan
                          D2        D3        D4        D5        D6
           -DE/DX           nan       nan       nan       nan       nan
                          D7        D8        D9
           -DE/DX           nan       nan       nan
 Optimization aborted.
    -- Gradient out of range.
    -- Maximum allowed force = ********
 Error termination via Lnk1e in /programs/g98/l103.exe.
 Job cpu time:  0 days  0 hours  0 minutes 59.4 seconds.
 File lengths (MBytes):  RWF=   18 Int=    0 D2E=    0 Chk=   13 Scr=    1

thank you
K.Doucet