Subject: RE: "%mem" trouble of Gaussian

From: VITORGE Pierre 094605 <vitorge..at..azurite.cea.fr>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:55:44 +0100

I had similar problems. I run tests with different values for %mem, it seems
there is an optimum %mem value to obtain the shortest CPU time, this optimum
value is usually far from the maximum reasonable value (i.e the amount of
physical memory minus 150to300Mb for the system). This probably depends
(among other reasons) on the size of the exchange file memory, and whether
this file is at the begining of the disk. I asked help to Gaussian, but did
not get any answer.

Pierre Vitorge
CEA DEN Saclay DPC/SECR/LSRM & UMR 8587 (CEA-Universite d'Evry-CNRS)
Bat.391 Pe.40a
91191 Gif sur Yvette cedex
France
tel.(+33) 169-08-32-65, secr.: (+33)169-08-32-50, fax:(+33)169-08-32-42
http://perso.club-internet.fr/vitorgen/pierre

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Telkuni [mailto:telkuni..at..venus.dti.ne.jp]
Envoyi : mardi 25 novembre 2003 00:22
@ : chemistry..at..ccl.net
Objet : CCL:"%mem" trouble of Gaussian

Hello, CCLers.

I like to ask the effect of "%mem=xxx" on Gaussian98W.

I've met curios phenomenon with G98W_ver.A7. However I modified the 
PC's memory "%mem=128MB" to "%mem=512MB" on same calculation, 
there was very little calc time difference between them(57min and 64 min!)

If anyone met same phenomenon, please let me know. 
All responses, I will appreciate. And I will summarize them.

 Sincerely yours,
----------------------------------------------------
      Telkuni Tsuru     telkuni..at..venus.dti.ne.jp

-= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script =-
To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your Subject:
line
and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY..at..ccl.net

Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to: CHEMISTRY-REQUEST..at..ccl.net

HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page: http://www.ccl.net/jobs 

If your mail is bouncing from CCL.NET domain send it to the maintainer:
Jan Labanowski,  jkl..at..ccl.net (read about it on CCL Home Page)
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+