Subject: Workshop: The Chemical Theatre of Biological Systems, May 24-28, Italy

From: ccl <ccl-.at.-zuegge.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:03:33 +0000

We would like to inform you of our forthcoming workshop:

The Chemical Theatre of Biological Systems

May 24th-28th, 2004, Bozen, Italy.
www.beilstein-institut.de/events

The Beilstein workshops address contemporary issues in the chemical and
related sciences by employing an interdisciplinary approach. Scientists
> from a wide range of areas   often outside chemistry   are invited to
present aspects of their work for discussion with the aim of not only to
advance science, but also, to enhance interdisciplinary communication.

One of the most current challenging problems of the natural and life
sciences is the understanding and prediction of the biological chemistry
of the cell, with particular reference to the role of organic compounds
therein. These molecules are the products of highly refined in-vivo and
in-vitro organic syntheses; they have complex biological functions  
making up the systems themselves as well as interacting with and
perturbing them. It is our belief that advances can only realistically
be achieved in an interdisciplinary environment, where the lines of
thought of different scientific cultures are related sufficiently to
each other that given the right circumstances, interactions can take
place and new developments can follow.

By raising the curtain on the Chemical Theatre of Biological Systems and
through the performances of players invited from the areas of chemical,
biological and information sciences, our aim is that this workshop,
supported by the active participation of the audience, will afford new
insights into contemporary scientific issues.

The workshop will take place in the historic Hotel Schloss Korb. The
setting and the limited number of participants (ca. 50-60), provide a
very convivial atmosphere for the ready exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Please find further general information, the scientific program and the
registration form on our web site: http://www.beilstein-institut.de/events

Places at the workshop are limited and will be allocated on a first-come
basis.

We have an excellent line-up of speakers including:

Chris Adami, California Institute of Technology
Alexander Alanine, F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd.
Virginia Cornish, Columbia University
Athel Cornish-Bowden, CNRS Marseille
Ernesto Freire, Johns Hopkins University
Johann Gasteiger, University of Erlangen-N|rnberg
Richard Goldstein, National Institute for Medical Research
Douglas Kell, UMIST
Hugo Kubinyi, University of Heidelberg
Steven Ley, University of Cambridge
Alex MacDonald, F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd.
Gerald Maggiora, University of Arizona
Alan Mark, University of Groningen
Keith Russell, AstraZeneca
Gisbert Schneider, University of Frankfurt
Thomas Schneider, National Cancer Institute
Holger Wallmeier, Aventis
Nicholas Westwood, University of St. Andrews
Peter Willett, University of Sheffield

Contact address:
-----------------------------------------
Dr. Martin G. Hicks
Beilstein-Institut
Trakehner Str. 7-9
60487 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49 (0)69 716732 20
Fax: +49 (0)69 716732 19

mhicks-.at.-beilstein-institut.de
-----------------------------------------