Subject: Gaussian03 benchmarks - some numbers

From: Konstantin Kudin <konstantin_kudin/at/yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:00:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there,

I recently had to benchmark Gaussian03 on various hardware. I thought
I'd share the numbers since this information could be useful to those
deciding what hardware to purchase. No absolute timings are given,
just the inverse ratios representing relative speeds.

 The whole document is a bit large, this e-mail contains a short summary
while more detailed info could be found at the following link:

http://www.princeton.edu/~kkudin/g03_b5_tests_1.txt

 Hardware list:
 P20 - Pentium 4 at 2.0 Ghz
 P36 - Pentium 4 at 3.6 Ghz (overclocked from 3.2(?) with memory
bus running at 900Mhz as opposed to the standard 800Mhz)
 O16 - Opteron242 at 1.6 Ghz
 O20 - Opteron146 at 2.0 Ghz
 M16 - Pentium M at 1.6 Ghz, a.k.a. Bania with low(er) power 
consumption, this is sort of a continuation of Pentium III 
architecture, test machine was a laptop
 B13 - Power4 at 1.3 Ghz(?), IBM's cpu found in a ~2 year old
Regatta p690
 I15 - Itanium2 at 1.5 Ghz with 6 Mb of cache

 A__ is the arithmetic mean, G__ is the geometric mean

 For example, taking Opteron at 2.0 Ghz as the reference the
arithmetic and geometric means are:

                P20     P36     O16     O20     M16     B13     I15
        A__     0.60    1.11    0.79    1.00    0.65    0.91    1.80
        G__     0.60    1.10    0.79    1.00    0.65    0.90    1.76

 So, on the set of jobs that were run, P36 is roughly 10% faster than O20.

 Pentium 3.6Ghz is the reference
                P20     P36     O16     O20     M16     B13     I15
        A__     0.55    1.00    0.72    0.91    0.59    0.82    1.62
        G__     0.54    1.00    0.71    0.91    0.59    0.82    1.59

Itanium 1.5 is the reference
                P20     P36     O16     O20     M16     B13     I15
        A__     0.35    0.64    0.46    0.59    0.38    0.52    1.00
        G__     0.34    0.63    0.45    0.57    0.37    0.51    1.00

 Konstantin

		
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25"
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash