Subject: Gaussian 03 on AMD Athlon 64

From: Douglas Sievers <dsievers{at}ucla.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:21:48 -0700

Hi CCLers,

I am planning to build a workstation with an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 
(3400+ to be specific). My university has a site-license for Gaussian 
03, but we do not have the source code (at least I do not believe we do).

I have binaries available for Intel and AMD 32-bit architecture under 
Linux. Supposedly, the Athlon 64 processors can run 32 bit and 64 bit 
applications. I was wondering if anyone has had experience running 
32-bit Gaussian binaries on one of these 64-bit(32-bit compatible) systems.

I am not so much worried about optimizing performance of Gaussian, as I 
am in the operability of GaussView and Gaussian itself. I am planning to 
run the calculations on a separate cluster, unless they are small or 
test calculations that could be handled by a single CPU efficiently.

Please include what OS you are using in the reply. I would likely choose 
Fedora Core 1 for AMD64 as my platform, although I am open to 
suggestions for alternatives.

Thank you all!

Doug Sievers
dsievers{at}ucla.edu