Subject: Re: CCL:Calculation of an angle

From: "James J. P. Stewart" <jstewart*at*us.fujitsu.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:55:48 -0600

Given the three distances between each pair of atoms, use the familiar 
equation:

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abCos(c)

or Cos(c) = (a^2 + b^2 - c^2)/(2ab)

Given Cos(c) take the inverse to get the angle c.

Jimmy

At 02:03 PM 4/21/2004, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I am looking for an equation to calculate an angle from the cartesian
>coordinates of the 3 atoms making this angle.
>

                      ( @ @ )
  .-------------oOOo----(_)----oOOo-------------------------------------.
  | James J. P. Stewart             |                                   |
  | Stewart Computational Chemistry | E-mail:  jstewart*at*us.fujitsu.com  |
  | 15210 Paddington Circle         |  39/03/15 N, 104/49/29 W          |
  | Colorado Springs CO 80921-2512  |                                   |
  | USA               .ooo0         | Phone: USA +(719) 488-9416        |
  |                   (   )   Oooo. |                                   |
  .--------------------\ (----(   )-------------------------------------.
                        \_)    ) /
                              (_/