Subject: Parallel Jaguar on x86-64 / MPI question

From: Eric Bennett <ericb!at!pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:11:08 -0500

Hello,

I have seen people report running Jaguar succesfully on x86_64 systems, 
but I have not seen any reports as to whether these were parallel or 
serial jobs.  I am having trouble running parallel jobs on an SMP Intel 
x86_64 system.  I assume that because I'm an MPI novice, my problem is a 
configuration error, but Schrodinger's first response was to say that 
they do not compile for 64-bit systems.

So, has anyone run parallel Jaguar on x86_64 succesfully?  My serial 
jobs work fine.

Alternatively, can someone who knows more about MPI than I do suggest 
where I might have gone wrong to obtain the following error, assuming 
that it is not an incompatibility with x86_64?  The mpich test suite 
appears to run fine and uses all the CPUs.

FATAL: FATAL: MPI_Comm_size (2) does not equal nprocs (1)MPI_Comm_size 
(2) does not equal nprocs (1)[0] MPI Abort by user Aborting program !
[1] MPI Abort by user Aborting program !
[0] Aborting program!
[1] Aborting program!
p0_27431:  p4_error: : 1
p1_27432:  p4_error: : 1

More info:

Jaguar version 5.5, release  16

[bennette@localhost bms]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.21-15.EL #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:09:47 EDT 
2004 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

TIA,
Eric

-- 
Dr. Eric Bennett, Center for Drug Design, U of Minnesota

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They
never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
people, and neither do we. 
-George W. Bush
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/08/20040805-3.html