Subject: "Hands-On" Workshop on Computational Biophysics

From: "David P. Brandon" <brandon/at/ks.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:15:50 -0500

"Hands-On" Workshop on Computational Biophysics

    http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Workshop/Urbana/

     Application Deadline:  September 20, 2004

The Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, an NIH Resource for 
Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics (www.ks.uiuc.edu) at the 
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (www.uiuc.edu), will organize a

   "'Hands-On' Workshop on Computational Biophysics"

to be held November 8 to November 12, 2004 at the Beckman Institute of 
the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  The workshop will 
explore a wide range of physical models and computational approaches for 
the simulation of biological systems.

The workshop will be based on case studies including the properties of 
membranes and membrane proteins, mechanism of molecular motors, 
trafficking in the living cell through water and ion channels, and 
signaling pathways. Physical concepts, mathematical techniques, and 
computational methods required will be introduced, including force 
fields and algorithms used in molecular modeling, molecular dynamics 
simulations on parallel computers, steered molecular dynamics 
simulations, and combined quantum mechanical - molecular mechanical 
calculations

The workshop is designed for graduate students and postdoctoral 
researchers in computational and/or biophysical fields who seek to 
extend their research skills to include computational and theoretical 
expertise, as well as other researchers interested in theoretical and 
computational biophysics. Theory sessions in the morning will be 
followed by hands-on computer labs in the afternoon in which students 
will be able to set up and run simulations.

Applications to the workshop are due by September 20, 2004. Selection 
and notification of participants from the application pool will be 
completed by September 27, 2004. Those selected to attend must register 
and pay a workshop fee by October 4, 2004.  The base registration fee is 
$75 for students, $150 for non-student academics, and $250 for all other 
applicants. Housing and all course materials are included in the fee.

Due to space and equipment constraints, the workshop is limited to 20 
participants. For further information, and online application, go to 
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Workshop/Urbana/ . We look forward to 
receiving your application.

Workshop Organizers
E-mail:  workshop+urbana/at/ks.uiuc.edu