Subject: 2nd Call for papers - ACS San Diego March 13-17, 2005 : Informa tics Challenges for Start-Up Companies

From: Terry Wright <T.Wright_at_mdl.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:18:43 -0800

National ACS Meeting: San Diego   March 13-17 2005

Informatics Challenges for Start-Up Companies

Division of Chemical Information

This symposium is intended for discussion of the unique informatics
challenges facing start-up companies. Talks for this symposium may deal on
any aspect of cheminformatics, bioinorganics, or management of other
scientific information. This includes such topics as. 

1)   Managing information with limited resources (money and support staff)

2)   Commercial versus customized information management systems for your
workplace.

3)   Making applications from different sources work together.

4)   How to efficiently share information across different groups or
departments

5)   Integrating information with partners or other collaborators.

6)   Standardizing hardware/software for increased efficiency.

7)   Registration systems for internal databases

Talks may focus on either solutions for these issues, or discussion of the
problems that still confront organizations in informatics handling. Speakers
are not limited to those working at start-ups. Anyone with knowledge in this
area is welcome to submit an abstract. 

Until November 23, abstracts may be entered electronically, via the OASYS
system on the ACS web site (www.oasys.acs.org), then select Division of
Chemical Information (CINF). After that date or, if you have problems,
please send abstracts directly to me (terryw_at_mdli.com).

Thanks for your interest.

Terry

Terry Wright

MDL Information Systems

14600 Catalina Street

San Leandro, CA 94577

Phone: 510-357-2222 ext. 1392

Email: terryw_at_mdli.com