Subject: 2005 Computational Chemistry and Material Science Summer Institute

From: Eric Schwegler <schwegler[at]llnl.gov>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:23:14 -0800

We are pleased to announce the fifth year for the Computational 
Chemistry and Material Science (CCMS) Summer Institute at the Lawrence 
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL).

The goal of the Summer Institute is to provide an opportunity for 
graduate students to explore and learn some of the cutting-edge methods 
in computational materials sciences, computational chemistry, and other 
related areas of computational science during their first few years of 
graduate study.  Each student will spend ten weeks at LLNL as the guest 
of an LLNL host scientist working on a computational project in the 
host's area of expertise. In addition, computational science leaders 
> from universities and laboratories around the country will present a 
series of mini-courses for the fellows.  These courses will cover 
state-of-the-art and emerging computational methods in materials 
science and chemistry, while student fellows focus on the practical 
aspects of their numerical implementation. The lecture program covers 
topics of current interest, such as computational nanoscience, 
computational chemistry, computational simulation of materials based on 
coarse graining and multi-scale modeling, to name a few.

Over the past several years, scientists at LLNL have developed unique 
mathematical algorithms and computer codes intended to make best use of 
the unmatched capabilities of massively parallel tera-scale computing 
established at LLNL. These new capabilities make it possible to model 
material properties and behaviors with unmatched realistic complexity, 
using predictive computer models.  This new paradigm has created a 
great deal of excitement in the computational science community.  At 
the same time, it presents new scientific challenges and calls for new 
computational approaches that will be the focus of this Summer 
Institute.

Summer fellows will be selected from among an open pool of applicants 
who have demonstrated a strong interest in computational sciences, 
especially materials science and chemistry.  The Institute will run 
> from June 8 to August 16, 2005.  Travel funds and a generous stipend 
will be provided to the participants.  In order to be considered, 
prospective participants need to fill out the interest form at our 
website:

http://www-cms.llnl.gov/ccms_summer_inst/

The application deadline is January 14, 2005.

Attached you will find a PDF version of our color poster announcement. 
Please bring this announcement to the attention of graduate students 
that you feel would benefit from the experience of hands-on research in 
computational chemistry and materials science, working with leading 
researchers at a national laboratory.

More details about the institute can be found on the institute website. 
Please direct any additional inquiries to the administrator for the 
summer institute at summer.institute[at]llnl.gov

Andrew Williamson
Academic Director, CCMS Summer Institute
williamson10[at]llnl.gov

Mike McElfresh
Director, CCMS Summer Institute
mcelfresh1[at]llnl.gov