Subject: philosophy of chemistry volume appearing soon

From: Eric Scerri <scerri /a\ chem.ucla.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:23:15 -0800

Philosophy of Chemistry
Synthesis of a New Discipline
Series: Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science, Vol.  242
Baird, Davis; Scerri, Eric; McIntyre, Lee (Eds.)
2005, Approx. 370 p., Hardcover
ISBN: 1-4020-3256-0

Not yet published

About this book | Table of contents

About this book

This comprehensive volume marks a new standard in scholarship in the 
still emerging field of the philosophy of chemistry. With selections 
drawn from a wide range of scholarly disciplines, philosophers, 
chemists, and historians of science here converge to ask some of the 
most fundamental questions about the relationship between philosophy 
and chemistry. What can chemistry teach us about longstanding 
disputes in the philosophy of science over such issues as 
reductionism, autonomy, and supervenience? And what new issues may 
chemistry bring to the forefront now that it has joined physics and 
biology as a serious topic for philosophical reflection? This newest 
addition to the prestigious Boston Studies in the Philosophy of 
Science series marks the true arrival of philosophy of chemistry 
within the corpus of the philosophy of science.

Table of contents

Section 1. Chemistry and the Philosophy of Chemistry.- 1. Davis 
Baird, Lee McIntyre, Eric Scerri, By Way of an Introduction: The 
Overwhelming Invisibility of Chemistry.- 2. Joachim Schummer, The 
Philosophy of Chemistry: From Infancy Toward Maturity.-
Section 2. Chemistry and the History and Philosophy of Science.- 3. 
Paul Needham, Aristotle's Theory of Chemical Reaction and Chemical 
Substances.- 4. Jaap van Brakel, Kant's Legacy for the Philosophy of 
Chemistry.-
Section 3. Chemistry and Current Philosophy of Science.- 5. Otto Ted 
Benfey, The Conceptual Structure of the Sciences: Reemergence of the 
Human Dimension.- 6. Eric Scerri, Normative and Descriptive 
Philosophy of Science and the Role of Chemistry.- 7. Johannes Hunger, 
How Classical Models of Explanation Fail to Cope with Chemistry The 
Case of Molecular Modeling.- 8. Jeffrey Kovac, Professional Ethics in 
Science.-
Section 4. Chemistry and Physics.- 9. Robin Hendry, Is There Downward 
Causation in Chemistry?.- 10. G.K. Vemulapalli, Physics in the 
Crucible of Chemistry.-
Section 5. Chemical Theory and Foundational Questions.- 11. Joseph 
Early, Some Philosophical Implications of Chemical Symmetry.- 12. Ray 
Hefferlin, The Periodic Systems of Molecules: Presuppositions, 
Problems and Prospects.- 13. Jack Woodyard, A New Paradigm for 
Schrödinger and Kohn.-
Section 6. Chemistry and its Tools of Representation.- 14. Ann 
Johnson, Virtual Tools: The Epistemological and Social Issues 
Computer-Aided Chemical Process Design.- 15. Sara Vollmer, Space in 
Molecular Representations; Or How Pictures Represent Objects.- 16. 
Daniel Rothbart and John Schreifels, Visualizing Instrumental 
Techniques of Surface Chemistry.-
Section 7. Chemistry and Ontology.- 17. Nalini Bhushan, Are Chemical 
Kinds Natural Kinds?.- 18. Michael Weisberg, Water is Not H2O.- 19. 
Alfred Nordmann, From Metaphysics to Metachemistry.

further info from Spinger webpage,

http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,4-40109-22-39745720-0,00.html