Subject: RE: CPU usage

From: "Steve Bowlus" <chezbowlus = = = goldrush.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:08:48 -0800

I have observed the same behavior with another quantum code on a machine
with the same CPU/OS combination.  There was an earlier post to this list
asking about what seemed to be a similar problem with the Xeon HT.

I tentatively interpret the behavior that the job is given 100% of one of
the HT execution streams, while the other stream is largely kept idle.  I
have not found a way to tune this behavior.  If you look at ControlPanels
>AdministrativeTools >ComputerManagement >Processors, you will see there are
two CPUs shown.  These can be uninstalled, but I haven't tried uninstalling
one.  Presumably, all CPU resources would be concentrated in a single
execution stream, but I haven't found any documentation on this point.  I
also haven't found anything to suggest the second "CPU" can be
_re_installed.

I haven't talked to Intel or HP (who built my machine), either of whom could
shed light on all these issues.  Seems a pity that information on such a
feature (or limitation) of HT technology would not be made readily
available.

sb

 -----Original Message-----
From: Computational Chemistry List [mailto:chemistry-request = = = ccl.net]On
Behalf Of Rodrigo Pontes
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 9:29 AM
To: chemistry = = = ccl.net
Subject: CCL:CPU usage

  Dear Colleagues,

  We are running Gaussian on a Windows XP/Pentiun-IV HT 3.2GHz machine. We
observed (in the Task manager / performance) that the CPU usage is only
around 60%. Have someone noticed the same problem? How could us set the
configuration to a 100% CPU usage?

  Thanks in advance,

  Rodrigo M. Pontes
  Departemanto de Quimica
  Universidade Estadual de Maringa
  Brazil

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  Yahoo! Acesso Gratis - Internet rapida e gratis. Instale o discador do
Yahoo! agora.