Subject: Stereo 3D by the Numbers

From: "Warren DeLano" <warren{at}delanoscientific.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:50:03 -0800

Thank you to all who replied to my "Stereo 3D matters to me" email response
plea!

With over 600 direct responses from almost 300 organizations, Apple now has
convincing documentation that Stereo 3D is a "make or break" issue for the
Mac in pro-3D visualization -- a market that spans a surprising number of
industries, from medicine to energy, and manufacturing to military.

Although Apple staff have consistently provided me with assurances that
professional-grade stereo 3D will eventually be supported under Mac OS X,
the key question remains unanswered:  Will it be soon?  i.e. before the
industry standardizes on Linux & Windows visualization systems?  Or will it
be too late?

It is clear that the timeframe for Mac implementation of Stereo 3D (in a
window) will depend on how anticipated sales are affected by the presence or
absense of this professional 3D graphics capability.  

> From public Q4 figures, I guesstimate that Apple will ship several million
high-end PowerMacs over the next two years.  Based on your collective
responses, I now believe that the pro-3D market could affect those sales by
at least 1% UP or DOWN -- enough to make a real difference in Cupertino.

But to prove that, I need solid responses to the following questions:

1. What school, company, or insitution are you associated with?  What site?

2. How many people at your site make use of stereo 3D graphics at least once
a year? (scientists, researchers, engineers, teachers, students, etc.)

3. How many computer systems at your site currently have stereo 3D graphics?

4. Over the next two years, how many computers purchased at your site will
be used for 3D visualization tasks?  

5. Would the absense of industry-standard stereo 3D support eliminate Macs
> from consideration?  Likewise, would its presense be a deciding factor in a
decision to purchase Macs?

6. Effective stereo 3D is now possible on LCDs without need of bulky CRTs or
special 3D glasses.  If such equipment becomes available at each desktop for
under $1,000, how much of an increase in stereo 3D usage would you expect to
see?  Would stereo 3D become standard on each workstation at your site? 

Unofficial numbers are fine, but they must be based on your direct knowledge
or observations, and they must be capable of standing up to some scrutiny.
If you do not have adequate insight, then please just forward this request
onto someone who does.  Thank you for your continued help with this!

Cheers,
Warren
--
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.                     
Principal Scientist

. DeLano Scientific LLC  
. 400 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213           
. South San Francisco, CA 94080    
. Biz:(650)-872-0942  Tech:(650)-872-0834     
. Fax:(650)-872-0273  Cell:(650)-346-1154
. mailto:warren{at}delsci.com