Subject: 05.11.28 Combinatorial Methods and Informatics in Materials Science

From: Computational Chemistry List <ccl/at/ccl.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:53:26 -0500 (EST)

CALL FOR PAPERS
MRS Symposium LL: Combinatorial Methods and Informatics in
Materials Science

2005 MRS Fall Meeting, Nov. 28-Dec.2, 2005 Boston

http://www.mrs.org/meetings/fall2005/program/f05_cfp_ll.html

ABSTRACT DEADLINE: JUNE 21, 2005 REMINDER: In fairness to all
potential authors, late abstracts will not be accepted.

In the past 10 years, combinatorial, and/or high-throughput, and
artificial intelligence methods have permitted scientists to
rapidly explore new and complex systems in materials and device
research and development. As a consequence to this aim, numerous
novel research programs and products have emerged from a variety
of universities, national laboratories, and industry research
groups. This symposium will bring together scientists from
disciplines such as materials sciences, chemistry, physics,
electrical engineering, chemical and mechanical engineering,
informatics, and systems engineering to share the successful
studies and illuminate current challenges in four major
technical areas: combinatorial fabrication of new materials and
novel devices; high-throughput methods for materials and device
characterization; artificial intelligence methods and software
development; and combinatorial approach in undergraduate and
graduate research.

Papers are solicited in the following principal topical areas:

- Combinatorial fabrication of new materials and novel devices

- Functional materials, electronic materials, nanomaterials, and biomaterials

- Homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts

- Polymer composites

- Millireactors and millifluidics

- Combinatorial compounding and formulation

- Ink-jet dispensing and continuous gradient methods

- High-throughput characterizations of materials and devices

- Microinstrumentation

- Rapid characterization of composition and microstructure

- Mechanical, thermal, and optoelectronic properties

- Fluid properties such as rheology, stability, and structure

- Algorithms for high-throughput optimization of materials and
   process parameters

- Artificial intelligence methods and software development

- New screening principles and ideas

- Library fabrication and experimental design

- Computational combinatorial chemistry and high-throughput
   screening techniques

- Informatics, efficient user interfaces, and statistical and
   data mining techniques

- QSPR and QSAR techniques

- Traditional ab-initio and semi-empirical quantum methods

- Quantum Monte Carlo, density-functional approaches, and tight
   binding techniques

- Force-field-based molecular mechanics, dynamics, and Monte Carlo simulations

- Mesoscale and multiscale modeling, molecular modeling, and
   graphics approaches

- Combinatorial approach in undergraduate and graduate research

Invited speakers (partial list) include: Arik Aleksanyan
(National Academy Armenia), Eric J. Amis, Kathryn Beers, and
Albert Davydov (National Inst. of Standards & Technology), Alex
Demkov (Univ. of Texas-Austin), Mats Eriksson (Linkoping Univ.,
Sweden), J.A. Goschnick (Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Germany),
Jim Greer (NMRC, Ireland), Jaime Grunlan (Texas A&M Univ.),
Damian Hajduk (Symyx), Andrew Hillier (Iowa State Univ.),
Ghassan Jabbour (Univ. of Arizona), Yuji Matsumoto (Tokyo Inst.
Of Technology, Japan), Carson Meredith (Georgia Inst. of
Technology), Tsuyoshi Ohnishi (Univ. of Tokyo, Japan), Akira
Ohtomo (Tohoku Univ., Japan), Noriaki Okazaki (National Inst.
for Material Science), John Perkins (National Renewable Energy
Lab), Krishna Rajan (Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst.), Joe Shinar
(Ames Lab), Paul Stradins (National Renewable Energy Lab),
Andrei Touzik (IFW), Dean Webster (North Dakota State Univ.),
Douglas Wicks (Univ. of S. Mississippi), Xiao-Dong Xiang
(Intematix), Yusuke Yamada (AIST, Japan), Michiko Yoshitake
(National Inst. for Material Science), and Andrei K. Yudin
(Univ. of Toronto, Canada).

Symposium Organizers

Qi Wang
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, MS 3212, 1617 Cole Blvd.
Golden, CO 80401
Tel 303-384-6681, Fax 303-384-6430, qi_wang/at/nrel.gov

Radislav A. Potyrailo
G.E. Global Research Center, Combinatorial Chemistry Laboratory
P.O. Box 8, Schenectady, NY 12301
Tel 518-387-7370 or -5257, Fax 518-387-5604, potyrailo/at/crd.ge.com

Michael Fasolka
National Institute of Standards and Technology, Polymers Division
MS 8542, 100 Bureau Dr., Gaithersburg, MD 20899
Tel 301-975-6588, Fax 301-975-4924, michael.fasolka/at/nist.gov

Toyohiro Chikyow
National Institute for Material Science, Nanomaterial Research Laboratories
1-2-1 Sengen, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0047, Japan
Tel 81-298-59-2746, Fax 81-298-59-2701, chikyo.toyohiro/at/nims.go.jp

Ulrich S. Schubert
Eindhoven University of Technology, Laboratory of Macromolecular Chemistry &
Nanoscience (SMN), Dutch Polymer Institute, P.O. Box 513, NL-5600 MB Eindhoven,
The Netherlands
Tel 31-40-247-4083, Fax 31-40-247-4186, u.s.schubert/at/tue.nl

Anatoli Korkin
Nano & Giga Solutions, 1683 E. Spur St., Mesa, AZ 85296
Tel/Fax 480-539-4754, korkin/at/nanoandgiga.com