Subject: Re: Intel compilers: was Opteron or Nocona ?

From: Alex Brown <alex.brown ~~ ualberta.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:01:16 -0600

Dear Mark, Luigi, and others,

> BTW, maybe this is known to you already, but Intel offers you their 
> OpenMP
> capable compilers for free for academic use.

I have seen this stated several times on the list. While I believe that 
this used to be the case, Intel has clarified their position on 
academic use of their non-commercial compilers. As taken from their FAQ 
page (http://www.intel.com/software/products/noncom/faq.htm)

Q. I am engaged in academic research. Can I use the non-commercial 
product?
  A. If you, as an individual, are receiving any form of compensation 
for the research project (i.e., you receive a salary, or funding, 
etc.), you do not qualify for a non-commercial use license. However, 
you may qualify for the academic license (Click to academic page)

Note that I do not have any affiliation with Intel nor does it bother 
me what individuals choose to do with their copies of the 
non-commercial compilers. However, I wanted to clear up what I think is 
a common misconception about their compilers.

Cheers,
Alex

Alex Brown
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB
T6G 2G2
http://www.chem.ualberta.ca/~abrown/