Subject: Winter School in Computational Chemistry.

From: "Jan Amlof [uc migration account]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 93 15:24:26 CST

Dear colleague,

Since 1989, the Theoretical Chemistry Group in Lund, Sweden
has organized a biennial European Summer School in Quantum
Chemistry, teaching the theory and methods of modern
computational quantum chemistry to graduate students and
postdocs in theoretical chemistry, as well as to students
and researchers at a corresponding level from other areas
of chemistry and from industry.

The teachers at this summer school have included Jan Almlof,
Nicholas Handy, Trygve Helgaker, Per-Ake Malmqvist, Jeppe
Olsen, Bjorn Roos, Peter Taylor, and Ulf Wahlgren.  The
courses have covered Hartree-Fock, MCSCF, CI, coupled-cluster,
energy derivatives, relativistic effects, magnetic & time-
dependent properties, second quantization, mathematical tools,
effective core potentials, and density functional theory. The
courses involve both lectures and supervised exercises/tutorials.
The school lasts for two weeks  and is held at an isolated
location in southern Sweden.  In the past, $800-900/student
has covered food, lodging and all of the course material
(the school is run on a non-profit, cost recovery basis.)

The two "American" members of the team (JA & PT) are now trying
to transplant the idea to the American continent (specifically,
southern California).  The school would take place during the
first two weeks of January 1995, and we are looking towards an
attendance of 50-75 students.  However, before proceeding further
we have decided to canvass the community for an indication of
the interest for such an endeavor.

At this point of the planning we find it important to
distinguish encouraging pats on the back in general from
predictions bordering on a tentative commitment. If the idea
is not going to fly, we'd like to know that now, rather than
find ourselves lecturing to empty seats in 1995!  Since we have
not explored possibilities for external funding yet, we cannot
predict the cost with any certainty, and we therefore request
your opinion on several different scenarios, listed below:

We ask for your cooperation in returning the bottom part of
this inquiry by the end of December.
Please forward this message to any other colleague who might be
interested in our endeavor.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

        NAME: _______________________________________

____________  I like the idea, but cannot predict participation
>from my institution at this time.

____________  I expect that I would send __ people if the cost
turns out to be $700/person or less.

____________  I would probably send __ people at a cost of no
more than $1,200/person.

Additional comments are appreciated.

Please respond before Dec. 31  to:

Jan Almlof               or:     [email-masked]
Department of Chemistry
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455