Subject: Molecular Modeling or Molecular Modelling

From: [email-masked] (Noy)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 10:40:47 +0100 (NFT)

Hallo cyberchemists,
        Please forgive me for a stupid question I post here. I have a
little debate with my friends here about a critically important word.
Which one is correct, "Molecular Modeling" and "Molecular Modelling".
I was taught in school to use double "l" but I have been in doubt
since my textbooks and papers all around me use only one "l".
        Forgive my English too. It's not my mother tongue.
                                                        sincerely,
                                                        Noy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teerakiat Kerdcharoen (NOY)

Institute of General and Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry
Innrain 52a, A-6020 Innsbruck AUSTRIA
e-mail:  [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked] 
      :  [email-masked], [email-masked] ( Bangkok )
Research :  Molecular Dynamics simulations
         :  Computer Aided Molecular/Material Designs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
***  I have no past and no future. I just have today.

---

From: [email-masked] (David C. Doherty)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 07:42:54 -0500 (CDT)

>since my textbooks and papers all around me use only one "l".

Take your pick. Either is correct.  I believe that the "ll" variant
is British.  In my mind, the single l version is to be preferred,
because it wastes less bandwidth ;-).

---

From: Phil Bays <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 08:43:52 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone had any experience with X windowe software on the new Power PC 
(Macs).  Previously the two choices were Mac-X and eXodus.   If you have 
had experience, what software have you used and how has it worked?

Phil Bays
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame   IN  46556
[email-masked]

P.S.  I want to use the software to access both Spartan and MacroModel on 
an SGI platform.

---

From: [email-masked] (C.S.RAMAN)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 10:37:46 -0500 (CDT)

> Which one is correct, "Molecular Modeling" and "Molecular Modelling".

Both spellings are correct.  The American version uses one "l" while the
British/European counterpart uses two l's. This is not the only word
where such differences exist - Aluminum (U.S.) vs Aluminium is another.
Recently the Royal Society of Chemistry has changed the way "Sulphur"
used to be spelt.  The new spelling adheres to the American standard
"Sulfur". When you are in doubt, take a look at journals which are
published in the U.S. and Europe.

Cheers
-raman
-- 
C.S.Raman                           
UNIX Programming & Administration   
SPARC & SGI Systems                 [email-masked] - INTERNET
Department of Biochemistry          [email-masked] - CHPC
UTHSCSA                             [email-masked]
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.                 (210) 567-6623   [Tel]
San Antonio, TX 78284-7760          (210) 567-6595   [Fax]
******************************************************************************
         If a man's wit be wandering, let him study the Mathematics
                                                            -Francis Bacon   
******************************************************************************