Subject: Re: CCL:MAC <-> DOS for MS WORD files

From: [email-masked] (Walter E. Reiher III)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 21:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

C.S.RAMAN wrote:
> 
> Bogdan:
> 
> > Would anyone on the net know how to read MAC files on
> > a DOS/MSWindows PC?  The files were created on a MAC computer 
> > using MS WORD 5.x.  Any pointers to commercial/public
> > domain software will be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.
> 
> You have two options:
> 
> (1) Use a hardware/software data conversion setup like DYNAPRO  OR
> (2) Find a QUADRA 610 or an equivalent (I think even a CI would work).
> This machine can write and read from a PC disk.  Once you have it on the
> PC readable disk, then it is easy to read it from Microsoft WORD for
> Windows (v 6 or later).
This doesn't work in my hands!  The problem is that while the Mac can
READ the directory on the PC floppy, it can do very little with it.  It
can read and write plain ASCII files, but that's about it unless you add
some software.

Two options that work for me:

1.  If you have a network connection between the Mac and PC, a binary
FTP works.  In either direction, Word recognizes the other format and
automatically converts, including formatting, styles, etc.  Watch out
for a Word 6/Word 5 mismatch.
     Again, Apple File Exchange, by itself, does NOT work here!

2.  Get a translator.  I use DataViz MacLink Plus/PC Connect.  This
package may have more than you need but does give you:
    a.  Apple Mac PC Exchange so PC disks appear on your desktop like
        Mac disks.  A much easier way to look at the contents of the
        disk.
    b.  MacLinkPlus translator library (handles PC<->Mac Word and a LOT
        more).
    c.  Apple Mac Easy Open makes translation more transparent.
    d.  PC Connect also gives you PC<->Mac serial file transfer.
I guess you probably only really need PC Exchange; this is a more
general solution.

Hope this helps.

Wally
========================================================================
Walter E. Reiher III, Ph.D.                            [email-masked]
Consultant in Computational Chemistry
P.O. Box 61056                                        voice 408-720-0240
Sunnyvale, CA 94088                                     fax 408-720-0378

---

From: [email-masked] (C.S.RAMAN)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 11:04:34 -0500 (CDT)

> can read and write plain ASCII files, but that's about it unless you add

I tested my earlier suggestion about using a QUADRA or IIci.  It works
fine.  Here is what you do:

(a) If you have WORD for windows then save the file in the MS Word 5.x
(Mac) format. (b) don't attempt to open this file from a Mac by clicking
on it twice; The best way is to open WORD and then give the
appropriate/path and filename.  As long as your Mac can read PC disks
this method works fine.  MacLink Plus Translator is another way to go,
but, depending on the version you have, suffers from mistranslated
non-ASCII characters.

Cheers
-raman
-- 
C.S.Raman                           
UNIX Programming & Administration   
SPARC & SGI Systems                 [email-masked] - INTERNET
Department of Biochemistry          [email-masked] - CHPC
UTHSCSA                             [email-masked]
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.                 (210) 567-6623   [Tel]
San Antonio, TX 78284-7760          (210) 567-6595   [Fax]
******************************************************************************
         If a man's wit be wandering, let him study the Mathematics
                                                            -Francis Bacon   
******************************************************************************