Subject: Modeling/NMR; Glycosciences

From: Barry Hardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 18:02:58 GMT

A. Lackey wrote: 

> I would like to know how to get on this mailing list. I am a graduate 
> student of biochemistry at the university of iowa.  My main interest is 
> in NMR applications to molecular modeling of carbohydrates.

Specific answer is:

send your mail request to [email-masked]
not to [email-masked]

Comment:

     I also use computational chemistry/NMR to study carbohydrates and
I think you will find the osc list a worthwhile subscription.
Additionally, I would like to draw attention below to a recent newsgroup
that Iain Wilson and I have very recently launched in the 
'glycosciences' which will include modeling/structural areas, particularly
biology-related problems. Also, an NMR group was formed under the bionet 
hierarchy earlier in the year; it has been relatively quiet.

     Being primarily a structure/modeling kind of person, I am 
interested in seeing this kind of information gathered for the group and 
am soliciting volunteers to contribute to this project.  The work 
could include development of a glycostructural FAQ, gathering of 
location-site addresses, access procedures for structural information 
and databases, writing of structural Web pages with links to Glyco-
related URLs, and possibly the eventual construction of our own 
databases. Structural information can include sequences, models, 
crystal structures, spectra, or parameters.

Barry J. Hardy
http://alcyone.pcl.ox.ac.uk/people/barry.html

Electronic Newsgroup for the Glycosciences

The GLYCOSCI/bionet.glycosci electronic newsgroup is ready, having been 
passed by 165 yes votes to 1 no vote. The GLYCOSCI newsgroup can be accessed 
using USENET software - if such is available through your local computing 
service. If bionet.glycosci does not appear in the list of available 
newsgroups at your site, ask your news system administrator to enable the 
group at your site. Through your newsreading softeware you may have a 
'subscribe' function which loads newsgroups into a default list. 

Alternatively, you can subscribe via electronic mail by sending the relevant 
command to one of the BIOSCI sites as follows:

If you are located in Europe, Africa or Central Asia send the command (in 
the body of your mail message - leave the subject line blank)

SUB bionet-news.bionet.glycosci

to [email-masked]

If you are located in the Americas or the Pacific Rim send the command (in 
the body of your mail message)

subscribe glycosci

to [email-masked]

With e-mail subscriptions, you will receive an introductory document 
advising you on where to contact in the event of problems, how to post and 
reply to messages, cancel your subscription or look at the archives.

You can post to the group either through USENET software or by mailing 
[email-masked] (if you are located in Europe, Africa or Central 
Asia) or [email-masked] (if you are located in the Americas or the 
Pacific Rim). Do not post a message to both sites - otherwise everyone on 
the list will receive two copies of your message.

The charter and archives of the group can be accessed by FTP (file transfer 
protocol), gopher or WWW (world wide web) at net.bio.net. If you wish to 
access the charter or archives by WWW, the URL is 
gopher://gopher.bio.net:70/11/GLYCOSCI.

Iain B. H. Wilson
Dyson Perrins Laboratory
University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QY
e-mail: [email-masked]
(As from January 1995 at Institut fuer Chemie der Universitaet fuer 
Bodenkultur, Gregor-Mendel-Strasse 33, A-1180 Wien, Austria)

Barry J. Hardy
Computer-Aided Molecular Design Group
Physical Chemistry Laboratory
University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QZ
e-mail: [email-masked]