Subject: Structural Biology Symposium

From: "Bruce A. Luxon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 13:48:47 -0600

Final Announcement
                      STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY SYMPOSIUM
            UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL BRANCH AT GALVESTON
                 Sealy Center for Structural Biology
       and the Department of Human Biological Chemistry & Genetics
                          MARCH 1-3, 1996

Dear Colleague:

     Final details for the Structural Biology Symposium at UTMB are
enclosed. If you have not already registered, we would like to
invite you and your colleagues to join us in our inaugural celebration
of the UTMB Structural Biology Program and the Sealy Center for Structural
Biology by participating in our Structural Biology Symposium
scheduled for March 1-3, 1996.  This meeting will bring together
scientists who are interested in applying insights from structural biology
and solution thermodynamics to solve biological and biomedical problems.
The speakers at the symposium are distinguished researchers from a wide
spectrum of scientific disciplines.

        If you are planning to attend the Symposium, please inform us of your
coming as well as who may be accompanying you by no later than  February
26th. Furthermore, if you intend to participate in the poster session, all
abstracts must be received no later than February 26th as well.

        Regarding accomodations for the event, a block of rooms has been
reserved for Symposium attendants at the beachfront Hotel Galvez.  However,
prior to your arrival in Galveston it is necessary that you fill out the
hotel form provided below to guarantee a reserved room.

        Although there is no registration fee, $50 will be assessed for
those who wish to optionally participate in the Friday reception, Saturday
lunch and dinner banquet, and Sunday brunch. Please make all payments made
out to UTMB-SCSB.  In addition, checks will be the only form of payment
accepted.

Send all inquiries and responses  to:

Jacqueline Luxon; Administrative Secretary
ADDRESS:  Sealy Center for Structural Biology
Dept. for Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX.  77555-1157
PHONE: (409)747-6800
FAX:  (409)747-6850
EMAIL:  [email-masked]

        Thank you, and we look forward to your participation in the Symposium.

UTMB Symposium Organizing Committee:

D. Wayne Bolen
Werner Braun
Wlodzimierz M. Bujalowski
Edmund W. Czerwinski
Robert Fox
David G. Gorenstein
James C. Lee
Bruce A. Luxon
Jan F. Post
Stanley Watowich

----------------------------------------------------------------------
               Symposium Information and Registration

Information and the registration and hotel forms may also be found on the
Sealy Center for Structural Biology server- URL http://www.scsb.utmb.edu:90/

You may also e-mail or print the registration and hotel forms below and
send them to Jacqueline Luxon at the above address.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS, HOTEL  AND REGISTRATION FORMS

DEADLINE FOR THE SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS: FEBRUARY 26, 1996
---------------------------------------------------------------------

FINAL SCHEDULE
_______________________________________________________________________________
FRIDAY, MARCH 1, 1996
_______________________________________________________________________________

3:00 P.M. - 4.00 P.M.     Registration                              Levin Hall

4:00 P.M.                 Opening Remarks                           Levin Hall
                          President Thomas James - UTMB

4:15 P.M.                 Plenary Lecture                           Levin Hall
                          Frederic Richards - Yale
                          "The Structure of Proteins -
                           Change in Dogma with Time"

6:00 P.M. - 7:30 P.M.     Reception                                 Levin Hall

________________________________________________________________________________
SATURDAY, MARCH 2, 1996
________________________________________________________________________________
9:00 A.M. - 9:50 A.M.     Angela Gronenborn - NIH                   Levin Hall
                          "Structure of Protein-DNA COmplexes:
                                 Intercalation, DNA
                          Bending and Transcriptional Control"

9:50 A.M. - 10:40 A.M.    Don Wiley - Harvard                       Levin Hall
                          "Structural Biology of
                           Cellular Immunity"

10:40 A.M. - 11:10 A.M.   Break & Posters                           Levin Hall

11:10 A.M. - 12:00 noon   Robert L. Baldwin - Stanford              Levin Hall
                          "The Molten Globule Intermediate
                                  of an Apomyoglobin"
12:00 noon - 12:30 P.M.   Werner Braun - UTMB                       Levin Hall
                          "Self-Correcting Distance Geometry:
                           A New Method for Protein Modeling
                                and NMR Determination"

12:30 P.M. - 2:00 P.M.   Lunch and visit to the NMR Center         Dockside
Blg.

2:00 P.M. - 2:50 P.M.    Florante Quiocho - Baylor                  Levin Hall
                         "Molecular Recognition by Proteins:
                          From the Stringent to the very Loose"

2:50 P.M. - 3:40 P.M.    Thomas James - University of               Levin Hall
                         California - San Francisco
                         "Nucleic Acid Structure and Dynamics"

3:40 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.    Break

4:00 P.M. - 4:50 P.M.    Gary Ackers - Washington U.                Levin Hall
                         "The Intermediates of Hemoglobin
                          Cooperativity Provide Striking New
                          Insights into Allostery"

4:50 P.M. - 5:20 P.M.    Robert Fox - UTMB                          Levin Hall
                         "SH3 Domain Peptide Recognition"

5:20 P.M. - 6:30 P.M.    Poster and Reception                       Levin Hall

7:30 P.M.                Banquet                                    Hotel
Galvez

________________________________________________________________________________
SUNDAY, MARCH 3, 1996
________________________________________________________________________________

10:00 A.M. - 12:00 noon  Discussion - Brunch                        Levin Hall

                         "Future Directions of Structural Biology"
                         ALL SPEAKERS WILL SERVE AS PANEL MEMBERS

12:00 noon - 1:00 P.M.   Break

                         NMR Techniques Workshop                   Levin Hall
                         (In Cooperation with Varian Instruments)

1:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M.    George Gray - Varian Instruments          Levin Hall
                         "Recent Advances in NMR Technology
                               for Biomolecular NMR"

2:00 P.M. - 2:30 P.M.    Shanmin Zhang - UTMB                      Levin Hall
                         "Suppression of Radiation Damping
                               During Acquisition"

2:30 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.    Additional short contributions            Levin Hall

4:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M.    Applications on Varian/Oxford 600         Dockside
Blg.
                         and 750 Unity Plus and Varian/HARC
                         400 MHz Unity PLus systems with George
                         Gray and NMR Center staff
----------------------------------------------------------------------
CLIMATE

The weather in Galveston, a resort island off the Texas coast near Houston,
in March is warm with average temperatures ranging from a low of 55 degrees
to a  high of 75 degrees.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION

Hotel space has been reserved at the Hotel Galvez, however, it is not possible
to guarantee conference rates:

                                        Rate: $65/Single, $85/Double
                                              $95/Triple & Quad,
                                              $175/Deluxe Suites
FOR RESERVATIONS CALL: 1-800-392-4285

----------------------------------------------------------------------
POSTER INFORMATION

Posters should be no larger than 4'x6'. Abstracts of 1 page listing title,
authors and affiliation should be provided prior to the meeting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
COSTS:

There is no registration fee. However, payment of $50.00 total for optional
receptions, lunches and dinners should be made to UTMB-SCSB by February
26th.  Please, payment by
checks only.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

TRAVEL TO GALVESTON  AND PARKING INFORMATION

>From Houston to the Hotel Galvez

Take I-45 South, upon entering Galveston, I-45 ends and becomes Broadway.
Stay on Broadway till 20th Street.  Turn right on 20th and stay until it ends
at
the Seawall. The hotel will be at the corner of 20th and Seawall.

>From Hotel Galvez to UTMB Campus

Go down the Seawall till 6th Street, also called University Boulevard.
Turn left on 6th and stay until you arrive on Campus.  Gerland Grocery
store will be on your right and the parking garage on your left.

Note:  This parking will be only for Friday.  On Saturday and Sunday you
will park in a lot behind Levin Hall, where the meeting will be held, and
it will be free.

>From Friday Parking to Levin Hall

Exit parking garage on Market Street, stay on Market Street till Levin
Hall, you will pass on your right, the Admin Annex, Child Health Center,
Moody Medical Library, a small rose garden and then Levin Hall, so the 4th
Building on your right will be Levin Hall.  As soon as you pass the rose
garden, there will be stairs going up to the second floor of Levin Hall
where the meeting will be held.

>From Hotel Galvez to Saturday Parking for Levin Hall

Go down the Seawall and turn left on 11th Street.  The parking entrance faces
11th Street and is located between Market Street and Mechanic Street.  The
back of Levin Hall faces the parking lot.  From the parking lot cross the
street, stay on the left side of Levin Hall and walk around the building
until you find stairs going up to the 2nd floor where the symposium will be
held.
You must enter this side only.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY SYMPOSIUM, UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL BRANCH AT GALVESTON
                             MARCH 1-3, 1996

REGISTRATION FORM

NAME:______________________________________________________________________

WORK ADDRESS:______________________________________________________________

INSTITUTION NAME:____________________________________________________________

INSTITUTION NAME:____________________________________________________________

CITY:__________________________________STATE:_____________ZIP CODE:__________

OFFICE PHONE:____________________FAX NUMBER:_________________________________

EMAIL ADDRESS:______________________________________________________________

CHECK THOSE WHICH APPLY:

______Enclosed is my check for $50.00.

______I will be participating in the Symposium on: FRIDAY_________
                                                   SATURDAY_______
                                                   SUNDAY_________

______I will be participating in the poster session and have included a
      copy of my abstract.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 HOTEL REGISTRATION FORM

NAME:______________________________________________________________________

WORK ADDRESS:______________________________________________________________

INSTITUTION NAME:____________________________________________________________

CITY:__________________________________STATE:_____________ZIP CODE:__________

OFFICE PHONE:____________________FAX NUMBER:_________________________________

EMAIL ADDRESS:______________________________________________________________

ARRIVAL DATE:_____________________DEPARTURE DATE:____________________________

FOR ARRIVALS LATER THAN 6:00 P.M., A CREDIT CARD NUMBER IS NEEDED

CREDIT CARD (i.e. type)______________________________________________________

CREDIT CARD ACCT. #_______________________________________EXP. DATE__________

ACCOMMODATION DESIRED:

________SINGLE ACCOMMODATIONS $65.00/NIGHT

________DOUBLE ACCOMMODATIONS $85.00/NIGHT

________TRIPLE AND QUAD ACCOMODATIONS $95.00/NIGHT

________DELUXE SUITES  $175.00/NIGHT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please complete and return the conference registration form and/or hotel
registration form, together with your payment, to:

Jacqueline Luxon; Administrative Secretary
ADDRESS:  Sealy Center for Structural Biology
Dept. for Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX.  77555-1157
PHONE: (409)747-6800
FAX:  (409)747-6850
EMAIL:  [email-masked]

David Gorenstein
Director, Sealy Center for Structural Biology
Professor, Dept. of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77555-1157

Office: (409) 747 6801
Main Office/Voice Mail: (409) 747 6800
Fax: (409) 747 6850

E-MAIL ADDRESS: [email-masked]
http://www.nmr.utmb.edu/

-- 
*=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*
*  Bruce A. Luxon, Ph.D                                                    *
*  Assistant Professor                                                     *
*  Sealy Center for Structural Biology                                     U
*  Dept. of Human Biological Chemistry & Genetics                          T
*  University of Texas Medical Branch                                      M
*  Galveston, TX   77555-1157                                              B
*                                                                          *
*  (409)747-6802; Fax (409)747-6850                                        *
*  [email-masked]                             http://www.nmr.utmb.edu/ *
*=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*