Subject: CCL: Anharmonicity

From: "Jens Spanget-Larsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:26:10 +0100

CCL:

In a study of molecular vibrational structure I have encountered a 
normal mode with a "symmetrical" anharmonic potential V of the form: 

 V(Q) = a*Q^2 + b*Q^4

i.e., the potential V as a function of the normal coordinate Q can be 
approximated by a fourth order polynomial in Q, containing only the 
second and the fourth power.  What are the solutions to the 
vibrational eigenvalue problem with this potential function?  I would 
be most grateful for information on literature that deals with this 
problem.

Yours, Jens >--<   

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
JENS SPANGET-LARSEN  
Department of Chemistry      Phone:  +45 46757781 + 2710
Roskilde University (RUC)    Fax:    +45 46757721 
P.O.Box 260                  E-Mail: [email-masked]
DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark    http://frederik.ruc.dk/dis/chem/psos
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=