Subject: Re: Data Management for Materials Sciences

From: Kim Takita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 14:16:13 -0400

A new initiative is emerging within the materials industry to answer the
questions that are arising with increasing frequency:
       How can we fully take advantage of new materials design opportunities
now available with advances in computational methods and power?
       Can we computational chemistry program developers to agree on a
standard
for disseminating information suitable for a database?  
       How can we enlist the aid of developers toprovide useful interfaces for
interoperatability among vendor supplied software components?

If you are struggling with these questions, this international forum will begin
to provide the answers:
Materials Informatics: Effective Data Management for New Materials 
Discovery , June 28-29, 1999, at The Omni Parker House, in Boston, MA., 
USA. Conference website: http://www.knowledgefoundation.com/informatics.html 

The Knowledge Foundation has organized the first meeting of its kind to bring
together end-users, vendors, government and leading academics to begin to
address these questions in a practical way. An initial meeting for defining a
purpose and action plan for an Industry Consortium for Materials Informatics
will be held in conjunction with the program.

The fact that IT systems are not designed for the chemical & materials sciences
contrasts dramatically with the high level of innovation that is required in
materials design/engineering for this cost-conscious and competitive industry.
This is just one of the reasons why this conference is so timely.  This program
will provide you with the basis for enhanced data management strategies WITHIN
your own organization, as well as suggest groundwork for taking advantage of
external resources.

Visit our website, call 617-367-7979 or fax us at 617-367-7912 for a flyer.  If
you have specific questions regarding the program please contact Kim Takita,
Vice President at ext. 202.

The Knowledge Foundation, Inc., is a conference and publishing firm dedicated
to identifying emerging technologies and providing a forum wherein key players
>from industry, academia, and government work together to spur these
technologies toward widespread commercialization.

Thank you for your attention and time.

Kim Takita
Vice President
The Knowledge Foundation
101 Merrimac Street
Boston, MA  02114
617-367-7979 ext. 202
617-367-7912 (fax)
Email:  [email-masked]
http://www.knowledgefoundation.com