Subject: SESAM Protein Information System

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Nittoli)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 16:05:56 GMT

Hello Everyone,

Recently I have asked for information about a program called SESAM
or SYBASE (Proteins: Structure, Function, and Genetics 11:59-76 
(1991)). I have summarized the replies below (if anyone would like
the actual replies just send me an e-mail message):

	1. In a recent paper by G. Vriend, C. Sander & P.F.W. 
	Stouten ("A Novel Search Method for Protein Sequence-
	Structure Relations, Using Property Profiles," Protein Eng. 
	7 (1994) 23) they show that relational databases are 
	unsuitable and provide an alternative.

	2. SYBASE is a ~$5000 commercial relational database package 
	(address of SYBASE included) that SESAM is implemented on.
	It could also be implemented under ORACLE.  

	3. Potential contact(s) for Prof. Wodak

	4. Potential license agreement and a nominal fee for SESAM. 

Thank you to everyone who replied (P.Stouten, B.Davies, J.Nauss,
and C.S.Raman) and the CompChem exploder.

___________________________________________

Thomas Nittoli
Dept. of Chemistry
State University of NY
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3400 USA

Phone: (516)632-7854   FAX: (516)632-7960
Internet: [email-masked]