Subject: Zerner Conference

From: Jorge Seminario <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 23:51:51 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Colleagues,

The International Society of Quantum Biology and Pharmacology, is
organizing the Zerner Conference, in New Orleans, Louisiana, on August
17-19, 2000.
(http://www.chem.uno.edu/Politzer_files/ISQBP.htm)
Registration and abstract submission for poster presentations are still
open.  Articles will be published in the Proceedings (International
Journal of Quantum Chemistry) of The International Society of Quantum
Biology and Pharmacology.

Hotel Information
The conference will be held in the Queen and Crescent Hotel, located at
344 Camp Street. It is in a 100-year-old historic building within walking
distance of the French Quarter, the arts district and the casino. (For
more on-line information about New Orleans, visit http://www.nola.com.)
The rate for a double room will be $69 per night for August 16 and 17 and
$89 per night for August 18 and 19. A third and a fourth person can be
accommodated in a room for an additional$10 per person per night. A block
of rooms at these rates is being held until June 15, 2000. For room
reservations, contact the hotel at1-800-975-6652 or 1-504-587-9700; their
fax number is 1-504-587-9701. In order to receive the special rate,
conference attendees should mention the University of New Orleans
conference.
Conference Fees:
* ISQBP Members: $100 
* Nonmembers: $125 
* Students: $60 

Organizer
Dr. Peter Politzer, Department of Chemistry, University of New Orleans,
New Orleans, Louisiana, 70148, USA.

Conference Registration Form 
Name: ___________________________________________
Mailing Address: __________________________________
________________________________________________
E-mail: __________________________________________
Telephone: _______________________________________
Fax: ____________________________________________

(This information will be included in the conference program unless you
specify otherwise.)
ISQBP member _____
Nonmember _____
Student _____
Registration fee enclosed? _____ Yes _____ No
Please make check payable to the International Society of Quantum Biology
and Pharmacology;
it should preferably be drawn on a U.S. bank.
Do you wish to present a poster? _____ Yes _____ No
Tentative Title: _____________________________________
__________________________________________________
Do you plan to submit a contribution to the proceedings of the conference? 
_____Yes _____ No
(Manuscripts should be written in the usual IJQC format and submitted
on-site during the conference.)

Plenary Sessions and Speakers:
Enzyme Function:
* David Beratan (University of Pittsburgh) - 
* Tim Clark (University of Erlangen) - Hybrid QM/MM Simulations of Enzyme
Reaction Mechanisms. 
* Gilda Loew (Molecular Research Institute, Palo Alto) - Homology Modeling
and Substrate Binding Study of Human CYP450 Enzymes. 
* Kenneth Merz (Penn State University) - Combined QM/MM Methodologies and
Applications. 
Biochemical Nanocomputer Technologies:
* Robert Birge (University of Connecticut) - Protein-Based Volumetric
Memories and Associative Processors. 
* John Reif (Duke University) - Recent Advances and New Applications for
Biomolecular Computations. 
* Joel Schnur (Naval Research Laboratory) - Sub-Micron Lipid Tubules and
their Applications. 
Protein Structure:
* Harold Scheraga (Cornell University) - Prediction of Protein Structure
by Global Optimization of a Potential Function. 
* Eugene Shakhnovich (Harvard University) - Universally-Conserved
Positions in Protein Folds: Reading Evolutionary Information about Protein
Stability, Folding Kinetics and Function. 
* Jeffrey Skolnick (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, St. Louis) -
Prediction of Structure and Function on a Genomic Scale. 
* Devarajan Thirumalai (University of Maryland) - Stretching Proteins. 
Proton Pumps:
* Daniel Borgis (Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris) - Transport and
Spectroscopy of Protons in Aqueous Media. 
* Mark Tuckerman (New York University) - Identifying Quantum Effects in
Aqueous Proton Transport and in "Intermediate-Barrier" Intramolecular
Proton Transfer. 
* Arieh Warshel (University of Southern California) - Computer Simulations
of Proton Transfer Processes in Proteins. The Energetics of Proton
Translocation Processes. 
Membrane Proteins:
* Frank Blaney (SmithKline Beecham) - Modelling of Voltage-Gated Calcium
Channels and their Interactions with Small Peptide Neurotoxins. 
* Benoit Roux (Cornell Medical School) - Theoretical Studies of Ion
Permeation. 
* Peter Tieleman (Oxford University) - Molecular Dynamics Simulations of
Antimicrobial Peptides: From Membrane Binding to Transmembrane Channels. 
* Harel Weinstein (Mt. Sinai Medical School, New York) - Computer
Experiments Reveal Signaling Mechanisms in Membrane Proteins: From
Structural Motifs to Functional Microdomains. 
Modelling of Electrostatic Interactions: 
* Sergio Hassan (Mt. Sinai Medical School, New York) - Description of
Solvent Effects in Proteins: A New and General Continuum Approach for
Structure Calculations. 
* Ferran Sanz (IMIM/Universitat Pompeu Fabra) - Automatic Exploration of
Similarities between Distributions of Molecular Interaction Potentials. 
* Rebecca Wade (European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg) -
Electrostatic Interactions in Protein-Protein Association: Insights from
Brownian Dynamics Simulations and Protein Interaction Property Similarity
Analysis.